Cage or No Cage

BigTex

i have my veiled living in a ficus right now, no cage. he cant get down because i have one of those big dog collars on the bottom and there is no grip so he cant climb up and over the collar. what are your thoughts on this or would a screened cage be better in the long run?

ofcourse u should get a screened cage.
use that one for outdoors for 'fun in the sun'
how would u feed him/her crickets in theree?

i just use a feeder cup, the crickets cant climb out and when romeo is hungry he knows where to go for his food.

everyone has their preferences with either cage or no cage. obviously no cage has some major things that may be problems.

these things include:

escaping prey
poop
escaping chams (what would happen if he ever fell)
maintaining enough moisture

just to name a few

very true, all valid points but for right now its just not feasible for me to buy or construct a enclosure. i definitely want a enclosure later on but i cant right now.

the basking lights are hung from the ceiling, UV and basking, both are 12 inches from his favorite basking perch.

Well I have to say that, personally, I would prefer an enclosure.
However, if things are working you may be okay for awhile.
I do think more water needs to be introduced...via some sort of drip system.
something that is rarely mentioned is the feeling of security that a screen wall provides for a chameleon. They seem to be much more comfortable with that barrier between them and the rest of the world they can see.
Tyler has some good size enclosures for really good prices in the misc. classifieds right now.
Again, things seem to be working out okay, but I think you should make this a priority in the not too distant future.

-Brad

thank you for the advice i would like to get one as soon as i can, do you know of any place online or else where to get something suitable for a good price
?

I have all mne in cages but i think free range is just fine. I would make it so his perch is higher than your head. He will feel more comfy that way. Since you dont have any other animals hes safe. Now just keep in mind he may get curious and get down and around inspite of that collar you have. Then they like to go exploring and end up inside of clothes hanging in closets or climbing drapes or mini blinds up to the top. Those are just 2 places some of the people here have found theirs.

Free Ranging........

Tyler has some used cages for sale on this site now. A lot of my cages were purchased from Tyler. The only other comment I have about free ranging chams or any other reptile is one that people often don't seem to think of. The internal parasite issue.

I strongly urge anyone that is going to let their reptile roam around their house to get a fecal and Salmonella culture done first. Parasites and Salmonella are not limited to wild caught animals. They are often found in captive bred reptiles, including chameleons. Even the most reputable breeders can end up with these sorts of issues. Why? Because it is so friggin hard to eradicate the parasite/Salmonella once you have a reptile with it. You can treat the reptile but you have to repeatedly sterilize the cage and everything in it (often multiple times) during the treatment process. Some of these things can leave cysts that can live on a dry surface for a year and then infect whatever ingests it. Chams, like many other reptiles will "taste" surfaces as they walk around. This is how they get reinfected. Trichamonas (spelling?) and Coccidia are two things that are found often enough in captive collections that take some real effort to get rid of. Disinfecting a cage several times during treatment is one thing. Disinfecting your home is a completely different situation.

Salmonella is another issue that is becoming more and more common in Chameleons. It's not normally checked when you go to the vet for a fecal check unless the vet suspects a health problem. It is also hard to get rid of if a reptile has it. Some forms are very agressive. And this is one thing that can be contracted by humans. It's probably not going to kill you but who wants a bad case of diarhea? Think about this the next time you let your reptile chill out on the couch or the window sill. Do you ever later on (days later on) touch that same area for some reason and then eat a bag of chips, etc. without washing your hands? Think about it :)

thank you for the advice Cathrine, i wouldnt really call my set up free-range though. romeo never gets to walk around on the couch or window sills or anything like that. he stays in his ficus all day long. i handle him maybe once or twice every couple of days, just to see how he is doing, and if he looks healthy and happy. other than that he eats and climbs around in his tree

Yah i've tried the no cage deal its ok the only problem is that you cant control alot of things. Food you can and heat but not as much humidity or moisture is hard to keep up. Either or is ok

I am not sure how old or big Romeo is... But I have a 38 gallon (16"x16"x30") mesh cage I purchased for less than $30 and a 175 gallon (29"x29"x48") that cost me about $75. They are both perfect for how I use them. my small cage is currently in use with my new male veiled that is about 3-4 months old. The cage is always at 70% humidity with a basking spot of 88-95* and ambient temps in the upper 70's.

Back
Top Bottom