Cage not getting hot enough

I recently bought a new basking bulb after my old one broke but the cage is not getting hot enough. It is a 150 watt bulb(the max that the light fixture can hold) but even in the basking spot it isn't getting past 75 degrees. I have tried putting plastic around parts of the screen but it has not helped much. How can I raise the temperature in his cage?

how big is your cage? it depends on the wattage on basking light and had big because if the wattage is 25 and you have large cage and also it depends where you have your cage too, it might be close where cool air comes towards the cage. I just got one of the new 45 wattage ceramic fixture that has no light but it warms the cage day and night.

I recently bought a new basking bulb after my old one broke but the cage is not getting hot enough. It is a 150 watt bulb(the max that the light fixture can hold) but even in the basking spot it isn't getting past 75 degrees. I have tried putting plastic around parts of the screen but it has not helped much. How can I raise the temperature in his cage?

also what are you using to measure the temperature in the cage?

how big is your cage? it depends on the wattage on basking light and had big because if the wattage is 25 and you have large cage and also it depends where you have your cage too, it might be close where cool air comes towards the cage. I just got one of the new 45 wattage ceramic fixture that has no light but it warms the cage day and night.
My cage is about 4ft tall. It is 150 watts. I just measured the basking area a few minutes ago and it was up to 85 degrees which is better but I still don't think it is hot enough. The cage is in the corner of my room. It isn't near a window though. I am measuring with a digital thermometer.
I didn't see anything about a uvb bulb... are you using one?
I am using a 5.0 uvb bulb but I might have to get a new one soon.

Would a ceramic heat emitter help? I have considered getting one but I am not sure where I could put it, there isn't enough room on top of the cage

My cage is about 4ft tall. It is 150 watts. I just measured the basking area a few minutes ago and it was up to 85 degrees which is better but I still don't think it is hot enough. The cage is in the corner of my room. It isn't near a window though. I am measuring with a digital thermometer.

Would a ceramic heat emitter help? I have considered getting one but I am not sure where I could put it, there isn't enough room on top of the cage

Tempreture should be from 75-85 a good temperature, chameleon do enjoy a cery warm spot but they also like to cool iff a little, your your digital thermometer is off, try using a tempreture gun and aim it at the Chameleon to see his temprature and then aim at his basking spot, that will give you a better figure. If you live in very cold area 154 watts should be good enough but if your place gets warm than you might want to bump down the basking light it might get too hot and dehydrate your Cham.

As you don't want the entire cage to be warm, one way to give the basking area at the top a bit more insulation (to hold in the bulb heat you have) would be to attach some plastic on the cage sides just at the level of the basking perch. It could help slow down the heat dissipation into the room, but not raise the temp in the lower areas where you do want it cooler.

Back
Top Bottom