Cage modifications

raynahjj

Hey all! Since my last post I've gotten Sebastian a bigger cage and a few new vines. I recently rearranged his foliage. When I've done this in the past he's been unhappy for a few days but after a while he adjusts. I finally got everything set up the way I wanted it, and wasn't planning on changing anything anytime soon. However he's reacted quite differently this time, when I open his cage he crawls to the front in order to get out, he seems to really dislike this setup, but I am not really sure what to change. Any suggestions of what I should rearrange/ add?
IMG_5439.jpg

I was planning to putting something like a Dracaena compacta or a jade plant on that big cholla wood fixture I had in order to provide some more coverage, another means to retain humidity, and maybe it would be something he could climb on.
IMG_5440.jpg
IMG_5441.jpg
IMG_5443.jpg

Here is his UVB, it's a 5.0. You can also sort of see that I have a misting system, one head in the top left frontmost corner and another in the right farmost corner.
IMG_5442.jpg

This is his basking spot, this is

My best guess is not enough foliage—places to hide.

If those plants are fake, please replace them with live plants.
Live plants help increase and maintain humidity.

Pothos & Wandering Jew are excellent fast-growing vines.

Dracaena compacta is fine, as are most dracaenas.
Look up jade plant in the archives. They're safe enough, but kid of fragile (leaves break off easily).

For more on plants & how to arrange them/set up an enclosure, see:
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

Can he see the photo above your cage? He will not be happy if he thinks there is a predator above him. And yes I agree about the coverage, if you can always see him he will be uncomfortable. My Jackson’s really liked when I put a wall tapestry of a forest image around the back of her cage, they do seem to take a min to get used to changes but I hope this helps you. ☺️

Also putting your dripper on top of the cage instead of in it will free up space!
Great, thanks a bunch.
I do have a question though.. if I were to put the dripper on top would I need to suspend it from something? Or would I place it right on the cage and... cut a hole in the mesh to insert the dripper tube into ?

Great, thanks a bunch.
I do have a question though.. if I were to put the dripper on top would I need to suspend it from something? Or would I place it right on the cage and... cut a hole in the mesh to insert the dripper tube into ?
It can be sitting right on top of the cage or suspened above. It depends on your preferences and/or top cage strength and how high you fill it up/how heavy it is. Yes, you’ll have to make a small hole for it in the mesh if you don’t have a grommet for cords or anything.

if I were to put the dripper on top would I need to suspend it from something? Or would I place it right on the cage and... cut a hole in the mesh to insert the dripper tube into ?
I don't think cutting a hole would be necessary. Personally, I wouldn't put it directly on the screen top, as the weight of the dripper full of water would likely warp or deform the screen.

However with even slight suspension, it could be set up to function like a rain dome.

Back
Top Bottom