Cage cleaning

VanessaRose

My poor baby veiled passed away a few months ago from parasites after purchasing her from a pet store I’m devastated, but ready to give a new baby the perfect home. I want to make sure everything is clean and sterilized in the cage before I purchase a new baby from a breeder. Does anyone have ideas on how to properly clean the cage without having any chemicals that would hurt a Cham yet kill off and possible bacteria and parasites? Thank you!:)

My poor baby veiled passed away a few months ago from parasites after purchasing her from a pet store I’m devastated, but ready to give a new baby the perfect home. I want to make sure everything is clean and sterilized in the cage before I purchase a new baby from a breeder. Does anyone have ideas on how to properly clean the cage without having any chemicals that would hurt a Cham yet kill off and possible bacteria and parasites? Thank you!:)
The Chameleon Breeder Podcast covers cage cleaning and products that can be used to disinfect. Can't recall the episode number but sure you'll have no trouble finding it.

The Chameleon Breeder Podcast covers cage cleaning and products that can be used to disinfect. Can't recall the episode number but sure you'll have no trouble finding it.
I second this....after listening to this episode I started using quaternary ammonia (diluted) for my big cage break down cleanings. We were battling parasite overload and it helped eradicate the issue immediately. Great info here. I believe it is episode 75.

So, I'm going to use this to sanitize my fogger tubing once a week. It says no rinse after application, is that really correct? No rinse? Just checking. Thanks

Beer maker here, yup its no rinse. You just pop your bottles into the solution, and after 5min, you can fill her with water and drink right out of it. Completely non toxic. And yes we rinse/run it through our tubing too to clean them.

Beer maker here, yup its no rinse. You just pop your bottles into the solution, and after 5min, you can fill her with water and drink right out of it. Completely non toxic. And yes we rinse/run it through our tubing too to clean them.

Great, thank for the reply!

Do you use this while you cham is in the cage? Is it safe for it?
I've done quick wipe downs with it while he's in the enclosure with a rag I just spray some on that. Not sure how well it works doing so. Directions say let soak for 5min. If doing that I'd say remove your Cham.

If your chameleon had coccidia I would use more than a quaternary ammonia compound. Heat sanitizing is probably best but a strong solution of 40 volume peroxide with sufficient time will work also.

Back
Top Bottom