Cage Clawing

marina5vestal

I have had Fredric, my veiled chameleon for almost a year. I got him when he was small and just recently he started to claw at the top of his cage. I just want to know if that is normal or not.

I have had Fredric, my veiled chameleon for almost a year. I got him when he was small and just recently he started to claw at the top of his cage. I just want to know if that is normal or not.
By claw do you mean hang at the top of his cage or hang on the sides of his cage?

Next time he does it, stick your hand in there and see if he wants out :p Mine will tell me to let him out when he wants out by clawing at the front of his cage :D

my male veild does it often , I'm thinking he just wants out to free roam ,I have a younger panther female she's lazy eats and just bask in the heat LOL

I don't think Fredric wants out, because every time I put my hand into either feed, clean or empty out his drip ketch, he hisses/growls at me as well as lunges at me. I am confused, because everything that I have read said that chameleons are mellow lizards. I have caught him walking on the top, and the size of his cage is 16x16x30. I will try to upload a up to date photo of him so you can see how big he is.

I don't think so. He is mellow at the moment, but he puffs out and gets spotted as well as darkening. I don't know what he wants other than to always eat. I know he is smart, but I don't know what he wants other than me not touching him.

I failed to mention that he literally claws at the top of his cage like he is digging or trying to sharpen his front claws.

Yeah that's your problem in my opinion amazon a xl Reptibreeze 24x24x48 for adult veiled chameleons is a must

I don't know. Most videos that I see with chameleons in them, they seam not to mind being touched, but Fredric tries to mawl me when I don't realize that he is near where my hand is. I don't know if he had a bad experience at the pet store.

I don't know. Most videos that I see with chameleons in them, they seam not to mind being touched, but Fredric tries to mawl me when I don't realize that he is near where my hand is. I don't know if he had a bad experience at the pet store.

Yeah that's your problem in my opinion amazon a xl Reptibreeze 24x24x48 for adult veiled chameleons is a must

I agree with Kboz1991. I have a 16 months old male Veiled that I have had since he was about 6 weeks old. Adult male Veiled chameleons definitely need to be in a 2'x2'x4' ex-large ReptiBreeze. He will be much happier. Also, I extend a dowel into by boy's enclosure and let him climb on when I want to move him from his enclosure to some other place like a sunny kitchen window. You can easily teach him to climb on. Good luck. Be sure to get him that larger enclosure. You'll both be happier.

Back
Top Bottom