Cage build supply’s

As long as the basking spot is 8 inches away or 9 it must be a 5.0 because it shows 3.0 on a solar meter.

I can’t find a uvb bulb longer than 48 inch is there one if so could I link it I can’t find one
Follow that link I provided and look at the different models available theres a 2ft 2 bulb, 2ft 4 bulb, 4ft 4 bulb etc.. select which one you’d like to go with and the fixture will come with all the bulbs needed for plants, give me a moment and ill find a good link for 48” arcadia 💡

Follow that link I provided and look at the different models available theres a 2ft 2 bulb, 2ft 4 bulb, 4ft 4 bulb etc.. select which one you’d like to go with and the fixture will come with all the bulbs needed for plants, give me a moment and ill find a good link for 48” arcadia 💡
Yea thankyou. What I mean is if I buy the 4 foot one…. Omg I did the math wrong 😂 I though 48 inches was 2ft I’m dumb 😂

So I’m building a cage pretty soon it’s going to be 6ft tall 6ft wide 2 ft deep so I need to start saving for light etc. What uvb should I use a link would be great? Do I need multiple bc it’s so long? Do I need multiple heat lamps? Which heat lamp is best? And which light timer is the highest quality?
what do I need to water proof it or what do I need to treat the wood? My friend is a handyman and he’s helping me and my dad build this so he probably knows what to treat the wood with it would just be nice to know before hand. And what grow light?
Red Wood is naturally water resistant,
I build a custom one made out of redwood, never had an issue.

Based on my observations, and I'm probably not 100% correct on this, I see chameleons, Mine at least make more use
of horizontal space rather than vertical space.
I am going to link my build thread.
It looks empty, but in some other posts I posted, It's full of plants

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/30x30x48-custom-build.170611/

Based on my observations, and I'm probably not 100% correct on this, I see chameleons, Mine at least make more use

Wow thats a killer cage man, looks very professional, did you use redwood 1” by for the whole thing?, do you have any update pictures of it all done? id love to see it!

Wow thats a killer cage man, looks very professional, did you use redwood 1” by for the whole thing?, do you have any update pictures of it all done? id love to see it!
Yes I used Redwood for all, and tbh, my brother helped me build it, he is a carpenter, so it was piece of cake for him.

I am looking for one of my old post where I show it full of plants, but that's pretty much finished.

You are more than welcome to go trough my posts lol, I can't find it.

All I did after was make a 3 inch bottom tray and pond liner to catch the poop and all.

Edit: I found it
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/30x30x48-custom-enclosure.170737/#post-1507456

Yes I used Redwood for all, and tbh, my brother helped me build it, he is a carpenter, so it was piece of cake for him.

I am looking for one of my old post where I show it full of plants, but that's pretty much finished.

You are more than welcome to go trough my posts lol, I can't find it.

All I did after was make a 3 inch bottom tray and pond liner to catch the poop and all
Rad, i was looking aswell but i couldn’t find the pics either haha, ill have to do a longer search when im back from work., how has the redwood held up to the constant moisture/humidity? Did you use any sealer?

Rad, i was looking aswell but i couldn’t find the pics either haha, ill have to do a longer search when im back from work., how has the redwood held up to the constant moisture/humidity? Did you use any sealer?
No sealer, Cage Held up like a champ.
Google says, they last about 30 years before water damage starts showing.

I had to rehome my chameleon with its cage, so I don't have an up to date.

When I did have it though, I used to Mist a lot, like a lot, and wood was basically unnafected

So I’m building a cage pretty soon it’s going to be 6ft tall 6ft wide 2 ft deep so I need to start saving for light etc. What uvb should I use a link would be great? Do I need multiple bc it’s so long? Do I need multiple heat lamps? Which heat lamp is best? And which light timer is the highest quality?
what do I need to water proof it or what do I need to treat the wood? My friend is a handyman and he’s helping me and my dad build this so he probably knows what to treat the wood with it would just be nice to know before hand. And what grow light?
Just a few observations...

IDK of any grow/plant light that can reach 6 ft. What about 6'W x 2'D x 4'H? This would be an accessible depth (for cleaning, maint.), a reasonable height, could sit on a table (drainage & storage underneath), and triple-wide what most enclosures are.

A 48" UVB should be sufficient. There will be some dead space at each end, but if your basking site is set up properly, s/he probably won't want to spend much time in the "dead zone"s anyway.
A single 48" T5HO Shenzen fixture should be fine.

1634050533695.png
Alternatively, you could use a couple of 36" UVBs, but that would be somewhat more expensive.

IME, the 3 kinds of lighting (basking, UVB, grow/plant) should be considered separately.

I would not use a fluorescent quad fixture because it'll wind up costing you twice as much over the next five years than a single T5HO fixt. and LED plant lights. Feel free to run your own numbers on that.

Multiple heat lamps... Not an absolute, but in this size enclosure, an additional basking site wouldn't hurt, either.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/help.182707/#post-1667323

Timers... a minute or ten here or there really won't make much difference, so I tend to use the cheap mechanical timers from a big box store. I'm only now thinking of switching to an electronic timer because we now have a couple/three enclosures all coming on & going out within 20 minute windows.

Waterproofing wood is pretty heavy duty. If it has to be that tight, I'd look to flex seal, marine paint, or something like that. For water-resistance from misting, polyurethane should do fine.

I would avoid redwood (unless sealed) because it's a conifer, and as such, contains higher levels of VOCs. If you're going to seal it anyway, you can use pine (less expensive).

For grow lights, LEDs are currently the most efficient, most economical, and most eco-friendly.
I own several of these: https://www.sansiled.com/collections/led-grow-lights/products/70w-led-grow-light

They work out well @ 1 per 2' x 2' area; I have 2 in my double-wide enclosure. You could probably get by on 2, but may need 3.

The t5 hood linked before can be used for two bulbs aswell vs four as there is two on/off switches, simplicity and functionality are some of the things i keep in mind and having 5+ power sources for my lighting system alone ( if he were to go with the led grow lights) would be quite a pain imo, since replacing a kessil a360w with the 4 bulbs t5 fixture i have noticed no change in my electricity bill while having much happier plants! It also seems like it would cost around double for initial investment to setup the t5/led combo, efficiency aside.
https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-con...Hybrid-Chameleon-Build-Shopping-List-AAMK.pdf
, Cant imagine they are too bad on the efficieny if bill strand uses them throughout his facility!!

My bad those are t8s do not order those ill keep looking for t5 4 footers
I found some ty tho

It looks empty, but in some other posts I posted, It's full of plants

thats an awesome cage

Just a few observations...

IDK of any grow/plant light that can reach 6 ft. What about 6'W x 2'D x 4'H? This would be an accessible depth (for cleaning, maint.), a reasonable height, could sit on a table (drainage & storage underneath), and triple-wide what most enclosures are.

A 48" UVB should be sufficient. There will be some dead space at each end, but if your basking site is set up properly, s/he probably won't want to spend much time in the "dead zone"s anyway.
A single 48" T5HO Shenzen fixture should be fine.

Alternatively, you could use a couple of 36" UVBs, but that would be somewhat more expensive.

IME, the 3 kinds of lighting (basking, UVB, grow/plant) should be considered separately.

I would not use a fluorescent quad fixture because it'll wind up costing you twice as much over the next five years than a single T5HO fixt. and LED plant lights. Feel free to run your own numbers on that.

Multiple heat lamps... Not an absolute, but in this size enclosure, an additional basking site wouldn't hurt, either.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/help.182707/#post-1667323

Timers... a minute or ten here or there really won't make much difference, so I tend to use the cheap mechanical timers from a big box store. I'm only now thinking of switching to an electronic timer because we now have a couple/three enclosures all coming on & going out within 20 minute windows.

Waterproofing wood is pretty heavy duty. If it has to be that tight, I'd look to flex seal, marine paint, or something like that. For water-resistance from misting, polyurethane should do fine.

I would avoid redwood (unless sealed) because it's a conifer, and as such, contains higher levels of VOCs. If you're going to seal it anyway, you can use pine (less expensive).

For grow lights, LEDs are currently the most efficient, most economical, and most eco-friendly.
I own several of these: https://www.sansiled.com/collections/led-grow-lights/products/70w-led-grow-light

They work out well @ 1 per 2' x 2' area; I have 2 in my double-wide enclosure. You could probably get by on 2, but may need 3.
Okay thankyou for all this info it helps a lot well from the info u provided it looks like 4ft tall would be better so I’m probably doing that

The t5 hood linked before can be used for two bulbs aswell vs four as there is two on/off switches, simplicity and functionality are some of the things i keep in mind and having 5+ power sources for my lighting system alone ( if he were to go with the led grow lights) would be quite a pain imo, since replacing a kessil a360w with the 4 bulbs t5 fixture i have noticed no change in my electricity bill while having much happier plants! It also seems like it would cost around double for initial investment to setup the t5/led combo, efficiency aside.
https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-con...Hybrid-Chameleon-Build-Shopping-List-AAMK.pdf
, Cant imagine they are too bad on the efficieny if bill strand uses them throughout his facility!!
I’m probably using that fixture bc I would only HAVE to replace 2

Back
Top Bottom