Cage and black around chameleons face

chamnoodle

Hey! I am currently getting a new cage for my chameleon, a 24x24x48 size. While im waiting, he is still climbing the cage walls, is there any way I can prevent that until the new cage comes? My veiled also has a few dark points on his head, and tiny black spots near his eyes. It may be a burn from his basking spot but his basking area is about 4-6 inches away from the heat/UVB. I will post a few pictures.

Attachments

• IMG-2297.JPG
    IMG-2297.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG-2298.jpg
    IMG-2298.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG-2299.jpg
    IMG-2299.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 97
So I have noticed this same thing on my veiled about a year ago. I'm still not sure what it was but it did go away after a few weeks. If your highest pearch is 6 inches beneath the lamp then I would suspect a burn unless you have a crazy high watt basking lamp. The other issue I was thinking of is possibly a fungal infection, do you have any mold growth or pools of still water in the habitat?

So I have noticed this same thing on my veiled about a year ago. I'm still not sure what it was but it did go away after a few weeks. If your highest pearch is 6 inches beneath the lamp then I would suspect a burn unless you have a crazy high watt basking lamp. The other issue I was thinking of is possibly a fungal infection, do you have any mold growth or pools of still water in the habitat?
I was going to clean his cage this weekend, and did last weekend, and do small daily cleanings like just wiping down things that look like they need cleaned, and clean his food bowl because he has a bowl I put his food in and he knows thats what its for. I could check more thoroughly to see if theres any mold, but I dont see any. Should I be worried?

Last edited:
Bruises and scratches will be black. Almost looks like he has pied in him, just not really showing. If they are small injuries they will heal. You are already upgrading cage , use live plants. plastic can be sharp or irritating.
Burns oddly will not be as black, but usually looks like the skin on the back or cask is off color and peeling off.

Bruises and scratches will be black. Almost looks like he has pied in him, just not really showing. If they are small injuries they will heal. You are already upgrading cage , use live plants. plastic can be sharp or irritating.
Burns oddly will not be as black, but usually looks like the skin on the back or cask is off color and peeling off.
Like pied as in piebald? He has scratched a little because he had recently shed, that may be it.

Like pied as in piebald? He has scratched a little because he had recently shed, that may be it.

Yes like piebald. I have seen a few that you would not even know. The markings can change over time.
You should be able too look close and see it it is actually his pigment. or a scratch. It is a very odd injury pattern is my one thought.

Yes like piebald. I have seen a few that you would not even know. The markings can change over time.
You should be able too look close and see it it is actually his pigment. or a scratch. It is a very odd injury pattern is my one thought.
Ok, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom