Buying Cham eggs online?

If you buy eggs on line what do you do with the animals you don't want? What happens if you get all females? What happens if they get moldy? Are you just SOL?
I think I'll pass on that plan and stick with my live bearers.

I bought 5 eggs from @Matt Vanilla Gorilla back in September, and I could not be more pleased! His shipping was amazing! (I put step-by-step unwrapping pictures up in a thread). I also know 2 other people here who bought eggs from the same clutch, and I will let them chime in if they would like. Matt has walked me through the whole process of egg care, and I have no doubts he will be with me every step of the way. Matt and his family have become friends, and a part of my extended family! Today at the end of Dec I am SO pleased to say I still have all 5 eggs doing perfectly in my incubator!

I do want to say that @JacksJill makes very good points! If you are going to get eggs you need to know and plan on what you are going to do with the babies! Personally I am planing on keeping all of mine, no matter the sex or coloring. I have been working on baby feeder colonies sense I got the eggs so they will be strongly established and I will be able to feed them all, as well as getting the supplies I will need for after they hatch, and as they grow.

DO NOT get eggs without a plan! That would be disastrous for both them and you!

Done through someone with experience like Matt it can be a VERY rewarding experience! My boys and I can't wait for our babies to hatch, and I can't wait for them to have the experience of hatching their own chams, and watching them grow!

Good luck with whatever you decide is right for you!

If you buy eggs on line what do you do with the animals you don't want? What happens if you get all females? What happens if they get moldy? Are you just SOL?
I think I'll pass on that plan and stick with my live bearers.
So I'm a little confused. Don't you have the same issues with live bearers-chance of high percentage of females and what to do with the babies?
Agree with everyone regarding the plan. You need to be prepared to raise healthy babies and find them good forever homes. Tremendous amount of time, manual labor, $$$ and then finally marketing before you can relax again. Don't undertake this unless you are prepared to see it through.

No confusion, I'm breeding with the intent to keep some and sell the rest when they are old enough to survive. I'm not buying a pet that I don't know the sex of and may have to buy multiples to have the chance of having one survive to adulthood.
I just like live bearers because I don't have to stare at the eggs until they hatch. I stare at the females and they are cute.
I'm not hating on egg layers or the breeding there of. It's just not my thing.
I would be uncomfortable buying eggs without a written guarantee of a certain percent hatching but you should all do what works for you. Definitely stick with sellers you know well and don't let a cheap deal lead you into getting ripped off.

I've found the idea interesting, since I have no desire to breed my chameleons (and since I have 2 boys of different species that would be difficult!). However, I'd think you'd need to buy at least 2 or 3 to guarentee a hatching, but then what to do if all of them hatched? Just too much stress I think, and I'll just look at everyone else's baby pictures. My last 2 chameleons have been rescues, and I actually think that's the way to go for me from now on. And by rescue I don't mean I bought them at a major box store :D

Bought mine from chameleon 101 and they have a 💯 percent hatch or they replace, but yes it's a very long wait but the whole process is super rewarding if u put the time in. I'd have it no other way besides I think I may have gotten a different sire that I ordered but I didn't know at the time and now I'm a bit to attached to just say I want so n so offspring not this dude

Back
Top Bottom