Buying a Melleri

Bryonier

I don't know if I'm quite ready for another Melleri just yet, but after my experience, I know I'm going to want another eventually. So let me ask: what is the best website to buy chameleons from? They're such fragile creatures... I can't imagine any form of shipping to be even remotely tolerable to them... but is there a place that won't ship you a wild-caught, dying chameleon just to get your money?

I apologize if this isn't posted in the right forum. Please feel free to do what you must (move it or delete it) if I'm in the wrong.

I think @jpowell86 is trying to bread them not sure if he is selling right away, but would be worth looking into, and waiting for if you want a real healthy cham. Good luck

@jpowell86 is definitely the person to talk to. From everything I've heard, most Melleri are WC, so it'll be nice to get a breeding program going. I'm not sure how far down the rabbit hole you've gone with your research, but those more experienced with the species seem to agree that Melleri do best in a large free range set up, so you might want to check to see if that works for your living space.

Someone just had one for sale at the reptile expo here in Michigan 2 weeks ago. I could try and reach out to them and get you their contact info if you are interested. I see you are in Texas so it is not exactly ideal but an option.

@jpowell86 is definitely the person to talk to. From everything I've heard, most Melleri are WC, so it'll be nice to get a breeding program going. I'm not sure how far down the rabbit hole you've gone with your research, but those more experienced with the species seem to agree that Melleri do best in a large free range set up, so you might want to check to see if that works for your living space.

I would definitely like to avoid any wild caught. Eventually, once I have enough experience with them, I might just try out my own breeding program. I currently have two veileds (among other exotic, high-maintenance creatures), so I don't think learning the ins and outs of a Melleri will too be strenuous for me. But, regardless, there will be a learning curve. And after that, being able to contribute to the health and condition of these beautiful animals would be a nice goal of mine. That's a long ways away, though.

I definitely prefer the free-range idea. And, thankfully, have just the spot in my bathroom. After my experience with Pascal, I realized it actually would be a very fitting environment for him. The dimensions are perfect, it's already chameleon-proof (excepting the mirror), and with a MVB in the corner it'd be perfect!

Someone just had one for sale at the reptile expo here in Michigan 2 weeks ago. I could try and reach out to them and get you their contact info if you are interested. I see you are in Texas so it is not exactly ideal but an option.

I don't want to trouble you, but I do certainly appreciate the offer! I feel like getting one immediately would be a disservice to Pascal's memory. I'll wait a little while and let my heart heal and then, possibly, check in with JPowel86 on the off chance that his (hers?) are ready. But again, thank you very much for the offer! :)

aw :/ sorry for Pascal.. was in terrible shape :( it was nice to try to save him. Most of the miller is WC but maybe you can found some where you live (in canada it seem impossible..)

Finding a CB melleri is highly unlikely right now. I don't know of anyone that has any at the moment. I am working on a breeding project right now, but none available as of yet.

Unfortunately, the only melleri you are likely to run across are WC at this point in time. Acclimating a WC is not impossible. It can be tedious depending on the condition of the animal. Now that I know where you live, I can probably find you some descent melleri close to your location. I will PM you.

As long as it's healthy, I think any type will do. Now that I understand how limited the CBs are, I'm much more inclined to take a WC. Thanks to all of you for the input! :)

Finding a CB melleri is highly unlikely right now. I don't know of anyone that has any at the moment. I am working on a breeding project right now, but none available as of yet.

Unfortunately, the only melleri you are likely to run across are WC at this point in time. Acclimating a WC is not impossible. It can be tedious depending on the condition of the animal. Now that I know where you live, I can probably find you some descent melleri close to your location. I will PM you.
I would also be seriously interested in one also, I am in no hurry. I have a 6'x8' finished cedar closet that I am working on turning into a free range. It stays 70 all year long and is escape proof.

Ah, I see those melleri buried themselves in your heart. Can't blame you...the right one is a treasure. Buying a healthy wc is possible. I have seen some for sale that look just about perfect, not full grown, with an intact horn (its easily damaged, so a very good sign that its gotten good care). One of my rescues was in great condition and always healthy. She was also a gentle giant who roamed my house and even deigned to climb on me on her way someplace. I always felt so honored. All these years later I still miss her. Now that you've seen the worst you'll have a better idea what to avoid. There are lots of pics of healthy melleri on the forum too.

As long as it's healthy, I think any type will do. Now that I understand how limited the CBs are, I'm much more inclined to take a WC. Thanks to all of you for the input! :)

You have the control...as you have the time to be picky. The Melleri Discovery website can also help you determine what a healthy well treated one should look like. Forum sponsors do have wc chams, but they are more likely to take good care of them. Melleri in free ranges are great. They can be pretty mellow so the relative freedom suits them. I used a bedroom and created a clump of fake and real Ficus trees in the center of the room. Connected the trees with tree branches and wire. The clump stood on a 8x4 piece of plywood covered with pond liner to protect the floor underneath. Hung the lights from ceiling light fixture hooks. There was a misting system and ultrasonic room humidifier controlled with timers. When I needed to keep the chams in the room I just wedged a tall piece of cardboard in the doorway. The rest of the time they could roam the house and did. Somewhere on the old chameleons e-zine there was a description of the setup with pictures.

She was also a gentle giant who roamed my house and even deigned to climb on me on her way someplace. I always felt so honored. All these years later I still miss her

I love hearing Melleri stories like that! I too have come across some beautiful specimens that were wild caught. It's not impossible, but very rare in the last imports I've seen. I'm curious to see what the upcoming one offers.

check in with JPowel86 on the off chance that his (hers?) are ready

This is the male that I am hoping will bring me success in my breeding project. I have other males on the roster, but I'm crossing my fingers on this one. His colors are beautiful at rest and especially when he displays like below.

IMAG0975_1.jpg

I love hearing Melleri stories like that! I too have come across some beautiful specimens that were wild caught. It's not impossible, but very rare in the last imports I've seen. I'm curious to see what the upcoming one offers.

This is the male that I am hoping will bring me success in my breeding project. I have other males on the roster, but I'm crossing my fingers on this one. His colors are beautiful at rest and especially when he displays like below.

View attachment 153575
Wow! he is amazing!! wish you some baby soon! My dream is to stop the wc importation except for the breeding project of course :)

With the amount of gravid females importing into the US, I would assume their are some captive-hatched Mellers throughout the country. Finding them would be the solution.

As a side note, I was talking to a long time chameleon keeper and he felt the biggest mistake we make with Mellers is not giving them a long enough watering time frames; he felt 30-45 minutes was required, 3 times a day, and fogging worked better than misting to activate consistent long drinking.

CHEERS!

Nick

Yes, that's a big thing with melleri...they do things slowly (I often thought of it as "regally"). I would stand with a hand mister or syringe giving each one a slow steady drink for 20-30 minutes every day. I liked hand watering them because I really knew they had had enough water. Once the healthy ones were acclimated with good body reserves they didn't always drink more than that, but it took a while for them to get to that point. A couple of mine never did...I suspect that they might be permanently renal compromised and could never quite stay completely hydrated. Always very thirsty, drooling and gulping every time they had water available. But, they did survive, ate well, and other than that behaved pretty normally.

Ah, I see those melleri buried themselves in your heart. Can't blame you...the right one is a treasure. Buying a healthy wc is possible. I have seen some for sale that look just about perfect, not full grown, with an intact horn (a very good sign that its gotten good care). One of my rescues was in great condition and always healthy. She was also a gentle giant who roamed my house and even deigned to climb on me on her way someplace. I always felt so honored. All these years later I still miss her. Now that you've seen the worst you'll have a better idea what to avoid. There are lots of pics of healthy melleri on the forum too.

Indeed they have, haha. I loved the size and the intelligence behind those eyes. Even Pascal, as gone as he was, would look at me with the kind of certainty and intelligence I might expect from a dog or a cat. I love my veileds, but they seem very "animalish" to me. Pascal... he was like a person trapped inside a chameleon.

With the amount of gravid females importing into the US, I would assume their are some captive-hatched Mellers throughout the country. Finding them would be the solution.

As a side note, I was talking to a long time chameleon keeper and he felt the biggest mistake we make with Mellers is not giving them a long enough watering time frames; he felt 30-45 minutes was required, 3 times a day, and fogging worked better than misting to activate consistent long drinking.

CHEERS!

Nick

You guys all have some terrific stories. I'm so envious! I'm also worried that I might not provide the best home. 30-45 minutes, 3 times a day is a LOT! I would have done it for Pascal, no questions asked. But is there a better way of providing them the hydration they need than, say, a long shower? If my melleri were allowed to freely roam, what would be the best way for me to provide him with the amount of moisture he needs?

Thank you all for your input! I love this community!

Back
Top Bottom