But problem

Bob 9-1-19

So I woke up to this this morning does this mean this plant is not digestible it was pretty scary for a second but he got it out now here is what plant it is 100% sure of it and we looked it up here and found a thread somewhere saying it was safe but now I'm wondering if it is

Attachments

• 20191110_081523.jpg
    20191110_081523.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20191110_081538.jpg
    20191110_081538.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 95
  • 15733960116424799554162694366156.jpg
    15733960116424799554162694366156.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 83
No plants are really digestible by chameleons. As I understand it, veileds don’t eat plants for nutrition, but in order to help clean out their guts.
Well there was a little bit of poo attached to it so I guess it worked lol

@Kaizen said..."As I understand it, veileds don’t eat plants for nutrition, but in order to help clean out their guts"... I've never heard that before. I've hear people say they do it for moisture though. I'm not sure what the real reasons are but I do know that female veileds will eat a pothos plant bare when they're gravid.

I’ll certainly defer to you here. I was recently listening to a podcast where it was explained that veileds eat plants when there isn’t enough indigestible insect parts in their diet. The reason, as I understand it, is that the chameleon gut doesn’t have turns and bends like our guts. This makes it difficult for the muscles that control the guts to push through a soft diet. It was explained that the hard, indigestible parts of bugs—legs, chitin, etc—actually give the guts something to grab onto to force the food through. In the absence of such items—for instance, when a wild chameleon is feeding heavily on caterpillars, or a captive is fed too many soft worms—the chameleon will eat plant matter to act as the stuff to pull the rest of the food through the gut. Again, this is just what was explained on the podcast.

...sort of like the chameleon version of roughage. I guess it’s prominent in veileds because at the end of the wet season, hard bodies insects become rare, and the diet switches to soft flies and worms.

The thing I have heard on why veileds eat substrate/vegetation in captivity is they're missing minerals and they're trying to obtain it from plant matter.

In the same vein, it doesn’t seem to account for the fact that it’s only veileds that do it. If something was missing in captive chameleons’ diet, there’s be other species eating plants too.

In the same vein, it doesn’t seem to account for the fact that it’s only veileds that do it. If something was missing in captive chameleons’ diet, there’s be other species eating plants too.
Not necessarily. Every species is different. For instance Veilds have a window of opportunity every year just to grow, breed, than 90% of population die. This is why they grow so fast and are such viceous opportunistic feeders impo. Each part of the earth and each country is made of different minerals and elements. It is possible we are lacking something in our captive keeping that causes this? Also I have not heard of Veilds doing this in the wild. I wouldn't have a bit of knowledge in this though. Something you could ask Necas about though.

Excellent point. I too have no actual data here. And, in your defence, my veileds seem to love hibiscus flowers, which, as we know, are loaded with nutrients. So it might turn out that they are indeed missing something that they are searching for in plant matter.

Back
Top Bottom