Burn or something else?

Veronica_hc

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, female, 2 or 3 months? Since october 9th.
  • Handling - I have handled her a few times
  • Feeding - small crickets only thing she'll eat, tried hornworms, mealworms, bsf larvae and blue bottle fly spikes and she wont eat them.
  • I put in 10 but most seem to die i would say shes eating maybe four. I feed her twice a day.
  • Gut loading with a mixture of fruits a veggies (carrots, cucumber, sweet potato, blueberries, strawberries.
  • Supplements -
  • Repti calcium with d3 amd w/o d3 and herpitive
  • D3 once this month without every feeding herpitive once this month
  • Watering -
  • Misting and homemade water dripper
  • three times a day
  • Approximately 1 minute
  • Yes i have
  • Fecal Description -
  • Colors are brown and white
  • Consistency is a little moist
  • Never been tested for parasites in my care
  • History -
  • Bought her from a local pet store that seemed to be knowledgeable about chameleons, said she was 3 months. Didn't give much info other than that though.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type -
  • Glass with screen top
  • 12x12x18
  • Lighting -
  • Using a regular 60watt for basking and a zoo med 10.00
  • Schedule is 12 hrs kn 12 hrs off. Approx 930am to 930pm
  • Temperature -
  • Basking is approx 80°f ambient approx 73°f
  • Night temp is approx 60°F
  • I measure with a acu-rite thermometer/hygrometer
  • Humidity -
  • About 71% sometimes drops down to 40%
  • The acu-rite temp/hygrometer
  • By misting throughout the day
  • Plants - plants are one pothos, one dracaena, African violet and another safe one i cant remember off the top of my head fake vines/branches
  • Placement -
  • Cage is located in my room. Not near any fans or vents. Basement room low traffic
  • Top of cage is about 6' off the ground.
  • Location -
  • Salt Lake City, Utah

Current Problem
Has a brown mark along mouth. Possible burn? I lowered the pothos by bending the leaves she was able to get to the screen before.

Attachments

• 20171128_151153.jpg
    20171128_151153.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 258
  • 20171128_145938.jpg
    20171128_145938.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 284
  • 20171128_145933.jpg
    20171128_145933.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 268
I'm not sure, when did you first notice this? I would get it checked out with a veterinarian. What info did the people at the pet store give you? That enclosure is small What is your dusting schedule? A 10.0 might be too strong for such a small enclosure.

Last edited:
The first picture i attached is her enclosure.can you not see it on the post if not whats amothwr way to share pics? And yeah with my next check im getting a larger enclosure. And lookomg at it again i was thinking it looked a little like mouth rot its just crazy because she didn't have it yesterday. I will find a vet that specializes in chameleons amd fer her to them asap. Is there anything i can so in the meantime?

Attachments

• 20171128_151153.jpg
    20171128_151153.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 199
There's a little bump below the brown crusty stuff that may be an infection. Not sure if the stuff on the lip/mouth area is something stuck there or mouth rot. I would try soaking it tomsee if it falls off or loosens up...but don't pick at it.
I am having a hard time soaking it i am doing extra long mistings but when i was holding her i touched it and she jerked away like it hurt but she also jist doesnt like being touched in general so im not sure.

I do have a vet visit made for tomorrow morning so we will find out what is going on, i literally just noticed today which is why my head jumped to burn but looking at it more it looks more like mouth rot to me but im pbviojsly not an expert or vet.

So update for anyone curious. She does have mouth rot and i habe a prescription to fill to put on it. Would her being in a glass enclosure instead of screen cause this?

Mouth rot is usually caused by a bacteria cakled pseudamonas aeruginosa. It's everywhere...could have come from the insects. I've used glass cages almost forever and it's never been a problem...but I never let water lay stagnant in them and let them drynout at night.

Mouth rot is usually caused by a bacteria cakled pseudamonas aeruginosa. It's everywhere...could have come from the insects. I've used glass cages almost forever and it's never been a problem...but I never let water lay stagnant in them and let them drynout at night.
Yeah i try to make sure no stagnant water is in it at all times just for reasons like her getting sick, which i obviously failed at her not getting sick. I am upgrading to a bigger enclosure this will be screen though i hope that transition doesnt cause too much stress but she deserves more room. Thank you for your responses and info.

Ok now I’m all concerned too please let us know. Does it look like this ? Because I started reading that and scared the :notworthy::eek: out of me

Ok now I feel really stupid I should of read down First
* total Face palm !!!

Attachments

• 2F8678D4-0315-4642-9A53-122AB9EEB3FC.png
    2F8678D4-0315-4642-9A53-122AB9EEB3FC.png
    801.4 KB · Views: 184
Yeah i try to make sure no stagnant water is in it at all times just for reasons like her getting sick, which i obviously failed at her not getting sick. I am upgrading to a bigger enclosure this will be screen though i hope that transition doesnt cause too much stress but she deserves more room. Thank you for your responses and info.
Just make sure that you have proper humidity and drinking water in it.

Ok now I’m all concerned too please let us know. Does it look like this ? Because I started reading that and scared the :notworthy::eek: out of me
Yeah the vet said mouth rot but it does look quite similar to that im applying the antibiotics its called gentimicin she said to just take a q tip and apply it to the affected area. Not sire if i should go into a specialized vet or not at this point just barely starting this and very concerned about my little one.

Yeah the vet said mouth rot but it does look quite similar to that im applying the antibiotics its called gentimicin she said to just take a q tip and apply it to the affected area. Not sire if i should go into a specialized vet or not at this point just barely starting this and very concerned about my little one.
You did not go to a exotics vet?

I went to a vet that has a dr, the one i saw, that also works at an exotic vet clinic so they said she would know anf be able to diagnose anything that might be wrong but im questioning if i should just go to an only exotic pet vet now. Just was the first place i could get in to that said they even had a vet that worked with reptiles.

I went to a vet that has a dr, the one i saw, that also works at an exotic vet clinic so they said she would know anf be able to diagnose anything that might be wrong but im questioning if i should just go to an only exotic pet vet now. Just was the first place i could get in to that said they even had a vet that worked with reptiles.
Make sure that you have an exotic vet that works with chameleons.

If there is anything I know is regular vets are great for dogs and cats but ... exotics vet are specialized I would for peace of mind get a second opinion.

Make sure that you have an exotic vet that works with chameleons.
I just called another place ill be taking her to most likely the girl on the phone said they see alot of chameleons. But i sm still going to apply the medicine so if it is just mouth rot we can at least get started on handling it does that sound like a good idea?

If there is anything I know is regular vets are great for dogs and cats but ... exotics vet are specialized I would for peace of mind get a second opinion.
Called an exotics vet and will be seeing them soon. Going to keep applying the medicine so if it is mouth rot we can get started on handling it.

Back
Top Bottom