Bumps on side of Jackson chameleon

chicky

My female Jackson gave birth on May 4th and has been doing great and is still pregnant . We noticed the bumps shown in the picture a few days ago. She hasn't fallen or had any injuries. It will be hard to get her into the vet because they are only taking emergencies at this time . Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20200701_164114.jpg
    20200701_164114.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 73
Hi there welcome. I am tagging @JacksJill in because she is our jackson expert.
Your talking about the bumps along her spine towards her tail right?

If she gave birth then she could be gravid again...but she should have expelled all the babies she had in her and then started on another batch....if she has/had sperm left over or you mated her again.
I'm not a vet and don't know for sure what's going on with the bumps...but think it should be checked out by a good chameleon vet.
@JacksJill ?

Yeah I agree about the vet visit with a reptile vet. But I did tag Jacksjill in as well. I think she will recommend the same thing though.

I don't know what those bumps are. I have never seen anything exactly like that.
Gout can show up as bumps on the joints and the spine is made of joints but usually you see it on the legs. I'm afraid the vet will need to see her to get you an answer.
Maybe wee can find something in her husbandry that gives us a clue. Can you answer these questions?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I don't know what those bumps are. I have never seen anything exactly like that.
Gout can show up as bumps on the joints and the spine is made of joints but usually you see it on the legs. I'm afraid the vet will need to see her to get you an answer.
Maybe wee can find something in her husbandry that gives us a clue. Can you answer these questions?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Female Jackson 2 years old. We have had her for 15 months .
We do not handle her at all except to weigh her once a week because of being gravid .
She is fed crickets and dubia roaches . They are gutloaded with turnip greens, arugula that is dusted with spirulina and bee pollen. She eats everyday. 4 roaches in the morning. 4 crickets late afternoon.
I will send pics of the supplements and lights.
Her fecal matter has never changed. Always well formed and brown. Her urate is white. Sometimes part of it will have an orangish tinge.
She gave birth to 21 babies on May 4th and is showing signs of being gravid . She is not acting any different than she usually does.
I mist the tanks multiple times a day and she has a dripper plant. I have watched her drink from that and what I spray on her leaves.
She is in a screen cage 18x18x30
Lighting is basking and a uvb bulb 12 hours on 12 hours off .
Basking temp is 80. Lower is 74. Nighttime temp is 74. I use a infrared thermometer.
Humidity is between 60 and 70. I keep it up by misting and have hygrometer in tank
Not using live plants
Her tank is and always has been in our bedroom .
We live in CT.
We are just worried about the bumps.
Our male is in the same room and has the same tank setup and has no problems. They have always been in separate tanks unless they were mating.

Attachments

• 20200701_182630.jpg
    20200701_182630.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20200701_182620.jpg
    20200701_182620.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 55
  • 20200701_182613.jpg
    20200701_182613.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 20200701_182600.jpg
    20200701_182600.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200701_182542.jpg
    20200701_182542.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20200701_182521.jpg
    20200701_182521.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 101
Gut load and all looks good. I'm afraid that UVB bulb isn't going to be enough for her as she goes thru her pregnancies, You probably know one mating can produce 3-4 clutches of babies. The first one 6-9 months after her first mating and the others 3-4 months apart from there. She is using the calcium in her bones and body to calcify their skeletons. Your lighting and supplement schedule are even more critical for her than your male. You didn't list your schedule. I would give her the Repashy loD every two weeks and a plain calcium 2-3 days a week. If you are giving her more than that you could throw her balance off and cause bone abnormalities and metabolic problems. You don't need herpivite if you are using the Repashy.
Back to the lights. Those short or coiled bulbs don'r put out enough UVB for adults in full sized cages. I would upgrade to T5 5.0 or 6% for her ASAP. For now getting her outdoors for real sunlight once or twice a week could make up the difference.
If you think she's been getting too much D3 on your schedule you should read this. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/d3-poisoning.2401/ D3 poisoning can cause spinal deformities usually in the tail.
IF the bumps spread or get larger rush to the vet. These guys do get infections and cancer like any other animal.

Gut load and all looks good. I'm afraid that UVB bulb isn't going to be enough for her as she goes thru her pregnancies, You probably know one mating can produce 3-4 clutches of babies. The first one 6-9 months after her first mating and the others 3-4 months apart from there. She is using the calcium in her bones and body to calcify their skeletons. Your lighting and supplement schedule are even more critical for her than your male. You didn't list your schedule. I would give her the Repashy loD every two weeks and a plain calcium 2-3 days a week. If you are giving her more than that you could throw her balance off and cause bone abnormalities and metabolic problems. You don't need herpivite if you are using the Repashy.
Back to the lights. Those short or coiled bulbs don'r put out enough UVB for adults in full sized cages. I would upgrade to T5 5.0 or 6% for her ASAP. For now getting her outdoors for real sunlight once or twice a week could make up the difference.
If you think she's been getting too much D3 on your schedule you should read this. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/d3-poisoning.2401/ D3 poisoning can cause spinal deformities usually in the tail.
IF the bumps spread or get larger rush to the vet. These guys do get infections and cancer like any other animal.
Thank you so much . I appreciate the help and will make changes now ?

Back
Top Bottom