building cages?

caroline?

Avid Member
Hi i've been looking into building my own cages for a while and was wondering if anyone could send me pictures of cages that you have built. I wanna make something that looks cool but cheap ish to make.

also im just curious has anyone tried using bird cages for chameleons? their big and tall and seem like they would be perfect for chameleons but idk!

I've heard not to use bird cages, I really dont remeber the reason but you are better off building one with screen or metal mesh like I did.

Attachments

• 20201011_181649.jpg
    20201011_181649.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 133
Hi i've been looking into building my own cages for a while and was wondering if anyone could send me pictures of cages that you have built. I wanna make something that looks cool but cheap ish to make.
There are over a thousand pictures of home-made (and set-up) cages in the "Official Enclosure Picture Threads" at the top of this forum. More can be found on google images and YouTube.

DIY can sometimes save some money, but the biggest advantage is being able to get exactly what you want.

Some important questions to ask yourself before designing/building an enclosure are:
  • Species of chameleon—generally, a 2'x2'x4'H enclosure will accommodate most adult species, but you should try for the largest enclosure you can afford. Some enclosure size recommendations I prefer can be found here: Reptile Housing: Size, Dimension and Lifestyle

• Sex of chameleon—females will require (space for, and) a lay box—even if you have no interest in breeding. See care sheet for your species for more specifics.

• Bio-active or "standard " enclosure—size will not usually vary much between these options, but accessibility and features may. Better to know which kind of enclosure you want before construction begins to make maintenance (and your life) easier. ;)
also im just curious has anyone tried using bird cages for chameleons? their big and tall and seem like they would be perfect for chameleons but idk!
This has been discussed and tried many times. Probably best to spend some time in the archives for folks' experiences & opinions.

i was planning on using chicken wire, the one that's like a grid. Ive seen people use it before but i was wondering what are the pros and cons of using chicken wire vs screen

i was planning on using chicken wire, the one that's like a grid.

:confused: Do you mean square instead of hex? :unsure:
Can you find something similar to what you mean here?
https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...XFLc0KHcgYBEEQ_AUoAnoECBIQBA&biw=1024&bih=636
(I just want to make sure we're on the same page)

Are we talking indoor or outdoor enclosure?

OTTOMH, one potential problem with any large mesh is keeping insect feeders inside the enclosure, and unwanted pests outside the enclosure.

There has been discussion of pros & cons of chicken wire enclosures here and elsewhere.
chicken wire chameleon enclosure

Not having personal experience with CW for this application, I guess one of my concerns might be potential injury to chameleons' feet. Using coated wire should help alleviate some of this as well as corrosion (depending on material).
chicken wire chameleon feet

yeah i meant square, and i was planning on an indoor enclosure. and thank you i'll look at those discussions.

Back
Top Bottom