building a new home for veiled cham... ideas??

buddy912

So this weekend we r gonna build a new n bigger house for our buddy he is a sub-adult who we rescued from a bad pet store in horrible living conditions. he is in a 18x18x24 now which is way to small. were thinking of using mesh screening of corse real plants just having a hard time with what to put on bottom . i was told not to use eco earth. and we were planning on that so now i just donno. i have a green reptile rug thingy down now i hate it tho. :D

Our male veiled chameleons are housed in 24 x 24 x 48 enclosures. My husband built them from cedar and used hardware cloth for the screening. The solid wood bottom has a plastic liner (we found 24"x24"x2" drip pans at a hydroponics supply). Excess moisture can be suctioned out or a drain can be installed. We have done both.

I posted a pic of some junior cages (designed for small species of chameleons such as carpet; rudis; etc) in our gallery. I will find & post more pictures of cham cages soon.

Hope this helps some,
Morgana / Reptayls

Mine are plastic bottoms without any wood or anything so with the weight of the plant on the plastic naturally dips I the middle an I punched small holes in there where the water drains out

buddys new house

I am excited we r building it today. we found a real nice bird cage that is 4' n wide not sure how wide tho. :) we gonna line it w mesh screen n i think he is looking into some kinda solid something to place half was round so mostly top half is open half way up...if that makes ne sense to u all. lol oooorrrr gonna get white furniture wood (like recommended) and build two side by side w a solid wall in between since were getting a new baby girl in Jan! im so excited now i have to learn alllll over again. thats ok! ;) oh n yes putting house up off floor he will be at tallest point bout 7 ft.

Still The Season For Cage Builds:

So this weekend we r gonna build a new n bigger house for our buddy he is a sub-adult who we rescued from a bad pet store in horrible living conditions. he is in a 18x18x24 now which is way to small. were thinking of using mesh screening of corse real plants just having a hard time with what to put on bottom . i was told not to use eco earth. and we were planning on that so now i just donno. i have a green reptile rug thingy down now i hate it tho. :D

Hi. I hope your project turns out great. Let's see some pictures when you can. We love those. I have posted many pictures of my new cage build back in May and June. You don't really need anything in the bottom. Just keep it clean. I put a potted schefflera (umbrella plant) on the floor and Rambo likes to hang from his vines to lick water from the leaves. If you have lots of vines and branches for him to climb on your cham will never even know there is a bottom! LoL. Look at ALL of my pictures under The Season For Cage Builds. https://www.chameleonforums.com/season-cage-builds-82759/#post778209 :rolleyes:

I use a bioactive substrate with a carpet of native (native to the UK that is) moss over it. Practically zero cleaning, and as it's over a drainage layer no drainage problems, plus can plant straight into it. Much easier to go with the other ideas as posted above though :)

got a bird cage for my cham.

thank u all for ideas, we r going with the nothing on bottom approach. we bought a big bird cage its 18x30x36 n with the table its on he will be 7 ft+ off the ground. i have a pic w it in progress in my gallery i just cant figure out how to post it on here... ugh! sorry but u can feel free to come n lookie see ;)

pic of buddys new viv in progress

this is a picture of buddys new viv in progress, still needs alota work!!! :)

Attachments

• buddys new house in the making!.jpg
    buddys new house in the making!.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 104
Back
Top Bottom