Building a custom enclosure (work log)

Well, I found some time to continue the project. I didn't have photos from the construction of the door, however I will upload some details later on, just to see how it is done. Below you can see how the mesh is installed. Tomorrow I am going to setup the lighting and the dripping bowl, along with the cabling.

As I promised yesterday, today I almost finished it. The only thing remaining is the plants, which are going to be placed next week and a UPS, but it is unnecessary until we leave on vacations.

This hole is for the drippers' tube. It is exact size so I can adjust tubes' length and where it is inside the cage.

There are two of them. This one at the top, and another on at the bottom. Double security

This is how the door is installed.

Looks amazing so far, homemade viv's have so much more character than the usual shop bought ones! can't wait to see it occupied:)

Last details. I received the plants. I got an epipremnum aureum along with a fracaena fragrans. I preowned the ficus benjamina, although we had difficulties to remove it from his old "home". The cage was filled with 75 liters of turf, however I could use some 10-15 more.

I didn't use the dracaena since there was not enough space. I kept it in the house as decorative, and if needed I will use it later on.

Tomorrow I am getting a baby :D

Is the mesh fiberglass? Or metal? I only ask because some insects can chew right through fiberglass mesh.

No, it is not metal, it is plastic. Unfortunately I was told that some insects can chew it, after I installed it... :( I will keep this until I find holes... The only thing that bothers me is that both metallic and plastic had the same price, so it was a mater of decision and not money.

All those flexariums in the market, are made of metallic mesh? :confused:

Perseus iz in da houz! Literally... :D

Today, finally all the waiting has come to an end, and responsibilities just began!

He seems to like the camera! Maybe he is going to be a model or an actor when he grows up :eek:

Currently the terra-flexa-rium is huge for him, and probably I will have to search for him in the "woods" until he grows...

After all that, I would like to ask some questions...
1. How much does he have to eat daily in order to be healthy?
2. Do I have to let the bottle drip all the time at low rate, or do I have to open it for some time daily?
3. How many hours per day should I have the lights on (heat/UV)?

1. How much does he have to eat daily in order to be healthy? In that enclosure your going to have to cup feed, it's so big for the little guy he will have trouble finding his food and then the uneaten food may decide to eat him over night. My guy ate between 10-15 gutloaded crickets at that size, dont forget to shake them in calcium w/out d3 5 days a week. So I would throw roughly 15 small crickets in a cup and regutload whatever he doesnt eat each night. Do not use a clear cup and make sure the crix cant climb out. Usually best to hang cup near basking spot or wherever u notice he chills the most.
2. Do I have to let the bottle drip all the time at low rate, or do I have to open it for some time daily? All day. start it up when your lights turn on and turn if off when the lights shut off. I have mine dripping every seven seconds. Do you have a drainage system on that enclosure? If not your plants will die and mold will start to grow. Your most likely going to have a mold problem anyways with the soil bottom. Also cover the soil with stone or your cham will eat the soil, vields are especially known to do this.
3. How many hours per day should I have the lights on (heat/UV)? Your zoomed 5.0 uvb light and house bulb needs to be 12 hours on, 12 hours off. Uvb needs to be in the vecinity of 6inches away from basking spot. Basking spot should be 80F-90F, 85F would be perfect.

1. How much does he have to eat daily in order to be healthy? In that enclosure your going to have to cup feed, it's so big for the little guy he will have trouble finding his food and then the uneaten food may decide to eat him over night. My guy ate between 10-15 gutloaded crickets at that size, dont forget to shake them in calcium w/out d3 5 days a week. So I would throw roughly 15 small crickets in a cup and regutload whatever he doesnt eat each night. Do not use a clear cup and make sure the crix cant climb out. Usually best to hang cup near basking spot or wherever u notice he chills the most.
I did that in the morning, however he didn't touch them... After 20' with the crickets inside, he didn't eat any...

2. Do I have to let the bottle drip all the time at low rate, or do I have to open it for some time daily? All day. start it up when your lights turn on and turn if off when the lights shut off. I have mine dripping every seven seconds. Do you have a drainage system on that enclosure? If not your plants will die and mold will start to grow. Your most likely going to have a mold problem anyways with the soil bottom. Also cover the soil with stone or your cham will eat the soil, vields are especially known to do this.
Ok, got that. Yes I do have a drainage system, in the front left of the plexi box. Do I really have to cover the soil? I chose turf in order to be safe... It is not a problem, I am just curious.

3. How many hours per day should I have the lights on (heat/UV)? Your zoomed 5.0 uvb light and house bulb needs to be 12 hours on, 12 hours off. Uvb needs to be in the vecinity of 6inches away from basking spot. Basking spot should be 80F-90F, 85F would be perfect.
Ok, I set it up to be on from 9 to 9. As for the temp, the point where he sits is 84F, so it is ok I believe.

the cage looks awesome...

just a quick thought:
Is that perlite (fertilizer) in the soil?
I couldn't really tell, but it looks like little white dots in the soil, which certainly raised an alarm... If your chameleon accidentally eats any of the perlite, all your hard work on the cage will be in vain...
Be sure to use organic soil without the fertilizer in it...
And if my eyes are playing tricks on me and there isn't any in the pics, then I apologize for buggin' ya about it :)

the cage looks awesome...

just a quick thought:
Is that perlite (fertilizer) in the soil?
I couldn't really tell, but it looks like little white dots in the soil, which certainly raised an alarm... If your chameleon accidentally eats any of the perlite, all your hard work on the cage will be in vain...
Be sure to use organic soil without the fertilizer in it...
And if my eyes are playing tricks on me and there isn't any in the pics, then I apologize for buggin' ya about it

Thanx for pointing that out! No, it is not something chemical, there are just small stones. The soil is plain turf, without any chemical products.

I was really worried about those "white things" in my soil, and since I could not check every one of them if it is a stone or something else, I decided to cover the soil with lava stones. They are beautiful and very lightweight, in order not to add too much weight on those wheels.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1010881b.JPG
    P1010881b.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 583
What a prestigious piece of work you created. Looks like a dream. Congrats on all of your hard work!:) and congrats on your new baby.

Just one question:
I am using a Sun-Glo spotlight lamp of 75w. At the basking spot, where Perseus usually sits, which it happens to be almost the top of where he could sit, it is around 30°C (85°F).

Should I use a 100w ? Room temp doesn't fall bellow 18°C (65°F)

Back
Top Bottom