Building a cage...

Boston Pitty

Established Member
Ok so i have an old tv shelving unit that my aunt gave me and im going to turn it into argos new cage. Ill add photos as i can but righ now i just have the stand and a head full of ideas.

First off i know im going to use aluminium bug screen for the ventilation sites of the cage.

I also want to line the entire inside with pvc cardboard stuff. Not sure if thats the right name for it or not. Its like plastic cardboard.

I need to know whats the best way way to protect the the wood? I found this at homedepot that is water based but im not sure if there is something better or not
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Varatha...-Based-Interior-Polyurethane-262074/305587650

Another thing is i want to use towel holders as ledges to hang the vines and what not off of. Do you think i should glue the pvc cardboard to the unit or use the towel holders being screwed into it to hold it in place?

I also plan on using aquarium sealant on every edge and amy place i use screws. I imagine that its safe for fish so why not chameleons? It should stick to pvc and right?

Will post photos of tv unit when i get it out if my suv. Its a two person job lol

If it’ll keep a boat afloat...cool idea!

Attachments

• 9F571130-3581-4000-A2B8-FADBC5D4C78D.png
    9F571130-3581-4000-A2B8-FADBC5D4C78D.png
    746.6 KB · Views: 142
You'll want to do spar urethane if you're going to urethane it. It used to protect wood outdoors and indoors so it stands up to uv. I do have a question/ suggestion though. If you're putting corrugated pvc over it why not just use drylok ,also available at home depot, then glue on your pvc and silicone seams? The suggestion side is rather then corrugated pvc grab plastex for your walls.

Screenshot_2018-08-21-16-06-42.png Screenshot_2018-08-21-15-58-52.png Screenshot_2018-08-21-16-08-37.png

You'll want to do spar urethane if you're going to urethane it. It used to protect wood outdoors and indoors so it stands up to uv. I do have a question/ suggestion though. If you're putting corrugated pvc over it why not just use drylok ,also available at home depot, then glue on your pvc and silicone seams? The suggestion side is rather then corrugated pvc grab plastex for your walls.

View attachment 212373 View attachment 212374 View attachment 212375
im new to all of this lol. Im up for any suggestions/ideas you have :)

The plastex is pretty easy to cut and saves having the "core" of the corrugated pvc. Fresh blade in a utility knife goes through it like a hot knife through butter lol. Make sure to keep it laid flat if you buy it early though. I bought mine before I was really ready for it and it held the shaped I rolled it into along with a folded corner from standing upright after a week in my garage. That was my big idiot moment for that week :ROFLMAO:. Spar urethane is a bit more but, as I noted earlier it's used to protect wood outside, on boats and houses. I have not used drylok personally but have seen it mentioned several times for sealing wood enclosures as well as epoxy paint like @Tucklander mentioned.

I used the water based minwax spar urethane on my bases that I've built recently. @ $50 a gallon (lowes price) it's not cheap but well worth the extra ~$14 or so over regular interior poly. My home depot didn't have the varathane version in stock so not sure how that one is to use or how glossy it cures. The minwax cured very clear and natural compared to the yellow tinge of the regular poly varathane I used on Blue's cage. Though the regular poly has stood up so far, I made his before really looking into the different type of urethane more closely and wish I had gone with the spar for his too. When it's time for a recoat his will get the spar too.

I have to cut the cabenet to create a door so im waiting to make sure i dont break it. Dont wanna buy things till i get the door cut

Ill look into all of the sealing solutions and see whats best for the price. All are chameleon safe that have been listed?

Assuming its the same to apply each basically?

I just looked it up online. Doesn't appear to ship to homes. Closest store that has it is an hour away. Ill have to call them to see if they have it in stock. Is there a certaint one to go with? I can say the aluminum one most likely isnt it. The last one on the list seems heavy duty.

I just looked it up online. Doesn't appear to ship to homes. Closest store that has it is an hour away. Ill have to call them to see if they have it in stock. Is there a certaint one to go with? I can say the aluminum one most likely isnt it. The last one on the list seems heavy duty.
You want the one that says Duralux Sphar Varnish. It is just a clear coat, no color. But they do chave colored ones as well.

Its been a while sorry, started it up and havent had the time to post.

Please dont judge the messy porch. I dont have a garage or really any other place to build it.

I still have to fill in some gaps (never used a jigsaw before :X) ill just use aquarum sealant to do that. I have a back for it as well but so i could clean it out i had it off. For the top and the door i used metal screen that was made for a 29g fish tank. For the front (when im done working inside) Im going to use aluminum window screen. Ive sill got a ways to go but so far this is what i got :)

Attachments

• 20180920_101517.jpg
    20180920_101517.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 20180920_101528.jpg
    20180920_101528.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 20180920_101455.jpg
    20180920_101455.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 140
Back
Top Bottom