BSFL tips?

Serbianchameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
I’m going to buy about 100 bsfl in few days. Is there anything I need to know? How do I keep them and how long do they stay in larvae state?

If your cham is picky about only eating feeders that are live & wiggling, tell the vendor ahead of time. They should arrive all white. They'll turn black & stop moving when they begin to pupate. If they arrive black & motionless, they sent you an older batch (which is why I suggested contacting them ahead of time).

They can be cooled slightly (not "refrigerator" cold; 50-55°F/10-12°C) to keep them longer, but if you're only getting 100, I think your cham will eat them before you need to worry about that—they should be good for a couple weeks at room temp.

keeping bsfl

If your cham is picky about only eating feeders that are live & wiggling, tell the vendor ahead of time. They should arrive all white. They'll turn black & stop moving when they begin to pupate. If they arrive black & motionless, they sent you an older batch (which is why I suggested contacting them ahead of time).

They can be cooled slightly (not "refrigerator" cold; 50-55°F/10-12°C) to keep them longer, but if you're only getting 100, I think your cham will eat them before you need to worry about that—they should be good for a couple weeks at room temp.

keeping bsfl
Can I feed the adults too?

Chickenman! "He's everywhere, he's everywhere!"
1595338668208.png

Another blast from the past that some here may be too young to know or remember... :p

If you feed the larvae they will stay in that state longer. My guys wont eat the larvae, but loves the flies so I don't feed and let them turn black and have goodies in about 2 weeks

If you feed the larvae they will stay in that state longer. My guys wont eat the larvae, but loves the flies so I don't feed and let them turn black and have goodies in about 2 weeks
Okay thanks. Just one more question. How do you get just one or two flies out and give it to the cham. I mean how dont all of them get out? And in what should I hold them?

I put mine in a mason jar with the metal top part off and only use the metal band screwed on with a paper towel at the top for ventilation. I just carry the whole jar over and take the metal band off and lift the paper towel and let about 5 to 6 go and close it back up. Worked for me for years

I put mine in a mason jar with the metal top part off and only use the metal band screwed on with a paper towel at the top for ventilation. I just carry the whole jar over and take the metal band off and lift the paper towel and let about 5 to 6 go and close it back up. Worked for me for years
Thank you!

another tip, place the larvae in a container with approximately quarter inch holes in the top and you have created a food dispenser if you need to leave for some time. Flies pop out randomly over time.
At 55 degrees, the larvae will live well over two weeks, especially if you add food into their container. Beware, once you feed them some ammonia odor will be created. I raise the larvae to a large size and then feed the flies. A well fed larvae will produce flies the size of medium wasps. My fellas go crazy for them.

I also use this method of vacation/emergency "vendor screwup/late" feeding. Works really well for me. I put a cup of bsfl in each cage and it's all good for me.

Back
Top Bottom