BSFL question

Wyattherp

At the risk of sounding ignorant...I really want to feed my guy and BSFL as well as BSF. My only concern is the BSF flying away when I open the lid of the container . How do you all do it ?

They don't tend to fly away if your gentle but if your concerned about it just hatch them in a clear deli cup so you can see the fly's when they hatch and then release them directly into the enclosure. Alternatively you can hatch them inside the enclosure in a container with a solid lid to keep water out and a hole in the side about 1/4 inch for flies to get out once the hatch.

At the risk of sounding ignorant...I really want to feed my guy and BSFL as well as BSF. My only concern is the BSF flying away when I open the lid of the container . How do you all do it ?
I put my fly's in the fridge and cool them down & then into the cage & once they warm up they'll start moving around

do you just separate the pupae to a container that will fit in the fridge before they turn to flys?
I take pupae & put some in a separate cup & set the deli cup on top of my fluorescent light strip & in a couple days they start to hatch out, then when I want to feed them to my chameleons I put the cup in the fridge for 5 or so minutes to cool the fly's into hibernation then put them in the chams cage! When they warm up they'll start flying & walking around & get eaten! Hth

I put my fly's in the fridge and cool them down & then into the cage & once they warm up they'll start moving around

I take pupae & put some in a separate cup & set the deli cup on top of my fluorescent light strip & in a couple days they start to hatch out, then when I want to feed them to my chameleons I put the cup in the fridge for 5 or so minutes to cool the fly's into hibernation then put them in the chams cage! When they warm up they'll start flying & walking around & get eaten! Hth

Brilliant!

Even if they escape, they don't fly very fast. At all. Very easy to catch them straight out of the air, and lots of times (in my experience) they head for something to land on fairly quickly and don't buzz around too much. 9 times out of 10, they head for a lighted area or a window because they are attracted to light sources. They are super easy to catch though. Definitely easier than catching a loose house fly....

Thanks! The more I read the more I realize that without the flies being about to fly in and out of the enclosure the colony probably won't work. I'm probably just going to stick to raising roaches and superworms.

I had some bsfl pupate in a small cricket keeper. Honestly wasn't trying to hatch them but after about a month, I noticed a few flies and now I have about 3-4 every morning when I go to feed. No fancy lights or anything, just gutloading them with the same stuff for my crickets and hornworms.

I had some bsfl pupate in a small cricket keeper. Honestly wasn't trying to hatch them but after about a month, I noticed a few flies and now I have about 3-4 every morning when I go to feed. No fancy lights or anything, just gutloading them with the same stuff for my crickets and hornworms.

That's kind of what I was hoping for. Do you have substrate on there?

They are an excellent feeder and very high in calcium. My guy still enjoys them as an adult. I usually buy a little tub of 100 count and whatever I can't feed off as worms will end up as flies later on. You don't have to do anything special, just keep them at room temp and put a few drops of water in every once and a while to keep the substrate somewhat moist.

I'd like to try the roaches but I don't think they move fast enough to get my guy's attention. Where did you order the silkworms from?

Back
Top Bottom