BSF questions as feeder

Yak

Hello,

I did some research about BSF maggots, I went ahead and order 250, I threw them in a old fruit bin and most of them disappeared. I bought another batch and out of my 4 chameleons, only one was interested in them.

He is 5 months, ambilobe panther, and prefer crickets and silk worms.

I did notice the bsf come out in his poop almost complete, so I am not really sure why he is not digesting them like the rest of his foods.

Does anyone has had the same experience?

I stopped giving them to him after seeing this twice.

I have 2 about the same age who eat them quite regularly and I have never noticed that before. I assume you mean the maggot casing is still in tact and not the actual Black Soldier Fly.

What are your basking temps? They need to be warmed up before they can digest food. What time of the day is he being fed? If fed too close to bed time he will not have enough time before temps fall after lights out to digest food.

What are your basking temps? They need to be warmed up before they can digest food. What time of the day is he being fed? If fed too close to bed time he will not have enough time before temps fall after lights out to digest food.

You are right I didn't take that into consideration. Lights go out at 7:15 I did feed it around 5pm.

Basking temps are between 80-90 and he sits low for the most time at about 85

If your chameleon doesnt chew well, you could poke a pinhold in the maggot to help ensure it is well digested.

Its not uncommon for the outter skin not to be fully digested, especially if you offer a lot of them at once.

Ensure basking temp is warm enough for the hour or two after feeding

I have 2 about the same age who eat them quite regularly and I have never noticed that before. I assume you mean the maggot casing is still in tact and not the actual Black Soldier Fly.

I am sorry, I meant to say the maggot.

If your chameleon doesnt chew well, you could poke a pinhold in the maggot to help ensure it is well digested.

Its not uncommon for the outter skin not to be fully digested, especially if you offer a lot of them at once.

Ensure basking temp is warm enough for the hour or two after feeding

thank you Sandra

Back
Top Bottom