Bruh

Established Member
I’ve gone crazy on the online shopping. I have over $2,000 worth of stuff in three different places (dragon strand, kammerflage, and Josh’s frogs) and did the math and everything to see how long I’d have to work with $8 an hour to pay for all of it (first job if I get hired, so like$ .75 more than min wage in TN lmao) I like to plan out everything and was wondering if y’all did the same when getting a new animal

I’ve gone crazy on the online shopping. I have over $2,000 worth of stuff in three different places (dragon strand, kammerflage, and Josh’s frogs) and did the math and everything to see how long I’d have to work with $8 an hour to pay for all of it (first job if I get hired, so like$ .75 more than min wage in TN lmao) I like to plan out everything and was wondering if y’all did the same when getting a new animal
I just cant imagine the prices in the US. I mean we dont have bad wages here but your chameleons and enclosures cost like 7 times more.. wish you good luck!

I like to plan out everything and was wondering if y’all did the same when getting a new animal
Likewise, and yes. Twice. The first time is for sticker shock. After the Missus brings me around or snaps me out of apoplexy, I do it again with a clear head toward being realistic.

I go over everything several times to make sure I haven't missed or overlooked anything, but there's ALWAYS something missed or overlooked—Murphy's Law. 🤷‍♂️

Whatever the final number comes out to, I double it (at least) for budgeting purposes. IME, it's far better to overestimate and come out underbudget than underestimate and come out overbudget, and then panic trying to figure out where to get the extra ca$h—or worse yet—where to cut corners, which is ALWAYS a BAD IDEA.

1618491009679.png

It's also usually enough to account for those items I've missed or overlooked, and provide a modest cushion for the unforeseen contingencies & incidentals, and helps me sleep better at night. 😴

Have you found/picked a herp vet yet? IMO, it would be a good idea.

I did, and contacted him by email, briefly introducing myself (s/he doesn't need/want to know your life story—even in regard to reptile keeping), telling him I was planning on getting a _____, and asking how much I should reasonably budget for veterinary care per year. That's the one cost you can't look up online, and it can vary considerably—geographically. Keep things concise and to the point. A follow-up is OK if you have a question or for clarification, but best not to turn it into a 'thang' [sic].

Once you reconcile that you need yet another (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. etc.) mortgage for each additional reptile, it's really not all that bad.... :rolleyes:

check local craigs list and what nots in your area for people selling what you need
and be creative think outside the box look for cheap d i y plans and focus on what your animal really needs first
the little frills can come later a little at a time
and plan ahead for growth

Lol 😂 how it adds up soo quickly is amazing isn’t it? I know that feeling all too well. What worked for me was looking for the best deals on the pricey necessities (uvb and plant lights) and alternative solutions for things like caging and drainage.

A word of advice tho, get the correct uv lighting and cage size. Keep an eye out everywhere for branches. Springtime usually has the better plant selection and get the plants in the sizes that’s best for your cage (many plants have slower growth indoors).

This might help you make an initial setup list and future wishlist to work with your budget.

Attachments

• Chameleon Enclosure Shopping List pdf 5 2.pdf
    41.8 KB · Views: 92
Lol 😂 how it adds up soo quickly is amazing isn’t it? I know that feeling all too well. What worked for me was looking for the best deals on the pricey necessities (uvb and plant lights) and alternative solutions for things like caging and drainage.

A word of advice tho, get the correct uv lighting and cage size. Keep an eye out everywhere for branches. Springtime usually has the better plant selection and get the plants in the sizes that’s best for your cage (many plants have slower growth indoors).

This might help you make an initial setup list and future wishlist to work with your budget.
I like that list but I can't use anything like that bc it has the pricing on it. My hubby never knows the breakdown of the cost of things I buy! Lol. (It's a definite plus that he just pays the bills and doesn't ask questions!).

Back
Top Bottom