Brookesia superciliaris encosure

Pygmy333

Hey all,
Wondering if anyone else keeps brookesia superciliaris and what your enclosure is like. This is mine.

Attachments

• 20180120_181957.jpg
    20180120_181957.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 504
  • 20180124_103645.jpg
    20180124_103645.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 488
looks good. the only thing I'd suggest would be to use an all-mesh cage, not glass, but otherwise it's pretty fine

Loooks good, Only thing i would recommend is to get rid of the substrate or cover it with a garden type mesh, it could potentially cause health issues if he eats some of the substrate. And maube add a vine or two.

Loooks good, Only thing i would recommend is to get rid of the substrate or cover it with a garden type mesh, it could potentially cause health issues if he eats some of the substrate. And maube add a vine or two.
Hey! Thanks for the reply. Pygmys need the substrate because they do not use laying boxes. They lay near the roots of the plants in the enclosure. I do have a leaf layer added to help them walk around on the ground and avoid ingestion.

Last edited:
It's perfect. What lighting are you using?
Thank you! I have since added a leaf layer as well. And packed the top with face plants to filter light. I use a linear fluorescent fixture that uses 48 in linear bulbs across all three enclosures. One bulb is just a regular natural light fluorescent bulb the second is a Zoo Med 10.0 UVB. In addition to that I have halogen Puck lighting for a little bit of heat.
From left to right on the Shelf it is a trio of brookesia superciliaris, a male furcifer lateralis, a female furcifer lateralis. And the lateralis have a piece of cardboard between the enclosures.
The lateralis like really bright light where the pygmies don't so that's why I have the lots of fake plants filtering the light through for them with a few gaps that they can bask if they want.

Attachments

• 20180325_080341.jpg
    20180325_080341.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 359
Beautiful, ditch the few fake plants though for real ones;).

Ignore the people that cry substrate, obviously for pygmies you need it, but even regular chams are fine as long as it's not something stupid like gravel or reptibark.

Beautiful, ditch the few fake plants though for real ones;).

Ignore the people that cry substrate, obviously for pygmies you need it, but even regular chams are fine as long as it's not something stupid like gravel or reptibark.
Thank you the only fake plants that I have in any of my tanks are the ones packed at the very top that are just for light filtration. Once the asparagus fern gets long enough I hope to reroute it across the top as well to get rid of those but right now it's just not a big enough plant.

I researched chameleon keeping understanding most species require a 5.0 uvb source (although recently a group of people argued with me that veileds will not grow sufficiently unless under 10.0). I also read that pygmys do better with 2.0 - given that they occupy leaf litter and small shrubs shaded by massive forest canopies. How long have you had the lateralis and brooks under the 10.0?

I researched chameleon keeping understanding most species require a 5.0 uvb source (although recently a group of people argued with me that veileds will not grow sufficiently unless under 10.0). I also read that pygmys do better with 2.0 - given that they occupy leaf litter and small shrubs shaded by massive forest canopies. How long have you had the lateralis and brooks under the 10.0?
Thanks for the reply. I set up the lighting for the lateralis according to Frank Payne' s care sheet.
Since it is a linear light that lights three tanks I put lots of fake plants at the top of the pygmy that filters the light to be very shaded except for a small basking area.
My other larger tank has 2.0 uvb.
The pygmy have been under these lights for 6 months. I just got the lateralis a couple weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom