Broken ribs

Leilaskeeper

My chameleon was purchased with a few fractured ribs. I was wondering if it would be harmful if I bred her? Has anyone experienced this or knows of any stories? Facts?

Thanks!

I would think it would cause pain breeding... I am not in any experience of breeding but I have seen some videos and pictures..Males come on pretty rough and the female stresses. Maybe you should wait for healing to finish?

If you think her ribs are broken then I would not recommend breeding her. How old is she? Can you post pictures?

I can post some pics but since she is sleeping and I'm hiking in the early morning, I'll post them later on tomorrow night. Check back :) She is about 2 years old now.

When I bought her, I noticed after she puffed up the first time and her stomach retracted, there was a clear outline of ribs broken. I was scared at first but she seems to be fine. I've had her for about 5 months now. I was just wondering if it was worth getting the male or if I should buy another species instead. I don't want to harm her in any way. If there is anyone who knows if this is harmful, please don't hesitate to offer your opinion.

In my opinion (I have never bred chameleons), it would probably be best to purchase another female. All factors put into consideration, it might just be too stressful for the chameleon.
Per chance you did not take the chameleon to the vet, and I know this may not be the situation but you may not know that the ribs healed properly if at all.

Broken ribs are not uncommon in chams. They can usually recover from them just fine.

I am curious exactly why you think the ribs are broken? Chameleons have two parts to their rib, and the division between these two could look like a fracture line to the inexperienced.

At this point her ribs are healed in whatever position they are in and she should not be in any pain. If you are concerned i would take her to a vet for a x ray. If none of her ribs are dramatically deformed, she should be able to breed without a problem.

Hi all - thanks for following up on this thread. I have been unable to take pictures of her because she has been digging in her laying bin the past few days. I've tried not to bother her much. I have been palpating her stomach for months now as I've seen digging behaviour often but she doesn't seem to have eggs. I could be wrong.

So, that is why I have not been able to post current pictures of her.

Please check back - I'm going to keep a close eye on her and when she finishes whatever it is she's working on, I will post pics of her ribs asap.

I am certain they are broken ribs. I've compared the one side to the other and you can clearly see the top of the ribs, near the spine, and they are spiked out. I have felt the peices of rib that were broken off too. Once you see the picture, you will know.

When a chameleon is digging to lay eggs you shouldn't let her see you watching her...she will abandon the hole and can become eggbound.

Hi all! Great update!!

Leila has layed 30 eggs and they are now at the store for incubation. :) She is eating well, supplemented well and drinking! I'm so proud of her.

I guess this answers the question I had about her ribs ... I will still post some pics later on of her ribs and pics of the eggs for everyone to see.

Kinyonga, I made sure not to let her see me. She saw me when she had already covered the eggs. Anyway, she has successfully laid and now to wait and see if they are fertile. I bought her 5 months ago and she had laid a successful clutch prior to her being in my care.

I tried taking pics today. I didn't want to touch her. She seems really fragile atm. She was only on her good side. I will try again tomorrow. Sorry for this lengthy process :(

Back
Top Bottom