broken claws? too wild to be caged?

bumgilligan

I have a male Jackson's that was found behind some houses in the grass. I assumed it was captive born because of where it was found, but I live in Oahu, so I've never been to sure. Anyways, I hooked him up with everything that was needed, big cage, lots of branches, leaves, a live plant, and a mist king. I keep him outside because he always seemed cold in the house and hugged his lamp. But I just noticed that he has three broken claws! 2 on the front, same side of foot. And 1 in the back. He crawls on the cage walls all day, and even on the pvc floor. He seems to really want to be released.

So the questions are: do claws grow back? And should I let him loose into the wild if he is so unhappy?

Please help!

Claws do not grow back, and they are probably broken from him being out in the wild (and also from being on the screen cage, those can rip nails off).

If you live on the islands most Jackson's are probably wild.

It is most likely wild. You can try lining the inside with some plastic hardware cloth (1/4" to 1") or plastic chicken fencing so that he has something to grip when he climbs the walls. Do you have enough branches and pathways for him? Sometimes they will screen climb if they dont have enough branches and plants to climb on. It is also possiible that he just doesnt like to be caged.

He had all his claws until about a week ago. I look him over everyday when I feed him.
I thought I had allot of branches, but I can get more. I will look into the soft plastic cage stuff to. I just want him to be happy.

So if claws don't grow back, what we'll happen to him? Should I let him go? Would that be better for him?

i had just about the same experience but I knew my guy was wild caught and just off the boat so to speak. Like you I could not stand him just clawing at his cage night and day. After several attempts to work on a part time in, part time out, I finally gave up. Now Lenny has a 14 x 16 ft room full of live ficus and umbrella trees, with tons of highways, some natural branches , some braided wire. He has a mistking, a dripper, several uvb and heat lights. I know it is not the world he came from, but short of sending him back to Africa, it is the best I can do. He takes advantage of the whole room, he goes from the floor to the ceiling. Often I can't even find him when I go in.

Would I ever do all of that again - no. If I had your jackson I would put him back outside just where I found him. But it is your decision to make. Good luck to you and the jackson.

Last edited:
How big is the cage he is in now?

For the most part, nails wont grow back.

HOWEVER, and this is a me example, not a norm.

I have a male panther who arrived to me with some nails missing.. The nails were completely gone. I have had him for about a year now, and those missing nails, are growing back.

I dont know why, but it is still slightly possible for them to grow back.

He had all his claws until about a week ago. I look him over everyday when I feed him.
I thought I had allot of branches, but I can get more. I will look into the soft plastic cage stuff to. I just want him to be happy.

So if claws don't grow back, what we'll happen to him? Should I let him go? Would that be better for him?

yeah like other of said, you can try to add a lot more branches and vines so there is more places to climb from.

also you can line the inside of the cage with "plastic fencing" similar to the below
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tenax-2-ft-x-25-ft-Green-Home-Fence-783060/100384024#.UXakTrV4KnI
so he can use that to climb, instead of using the screen and getting nails stuck in it.

How big is the cage he is in now?

For the most part, nails wont grow back.

HOWEVER, and this is a me example, not a norm.

I have a male panther who arrived to me with some nails missing.. The nails were completely gone. I have had him for about a year now, and those missing nails, are growing back.

I dont know why, but it is still slightly possible for them to grow back.

If the nail bed itself wasn't damaged they can grow a new complete claw. If an existing claw is broken someplace away from the base they won't "shed" it and grow another however. Many chams break claws and they can live OK without some. What you need to watch for is a claw torn out completely that gets infected. The toe will swell and get hard so will need antibiotic treatment. If there are any toes missing the entire claw do him a favor and dab some Polysporin on the toe tip.

I have a male Jackson's that was found behind some houses in the grass. I assumed it was captive born because of where it was found, but I live in Oahu, so I've never been to sure. Anyways, I hooked him up with everything that was needed, big cage, lots of branches, leaves, a live plant, and a mist king. I keep him outside because he always seemed cold in the house and hugged his lamp. But I just noticed that he has three broken claws! 2 on the front, same side of foot. And 1 in the back. He crawls on the cage walls all day, and even on the pvc floor. He seems to really want to be released.

So the questions are: do claws grow back? And should I let him loose into the wild if he is so unhappy?

Please help!

If he can see "the wild" he came from his cage he is going to keep trying to reach it. If you are going to keep him it may be kinder to put his cage indoors for some time. If you can't or don't want to do this I would release him. Just know that jackson's are not native to HI so are considered invasive pests...he would probably settle down in a nice roomy cage setup eventually, but that's up to you. Yes, he can do OK with a few broken claws either in the wild or captive. They are amazingly resilient.

Back
Top Bottom