Bringing out of brumation...Parson's keepers, what do you do?

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
It's getting to that time where my YL comes out of brumation. He hasn't eaten since fall. Today unexpectedly, he had his first food. 1 whole black soldier fly larvae...lol. Our temperatures are still up and down, his highs are going anywhere from 60 to a max of 70 on some warmer days(66 today). I'm thinking in april the temperatures should be consistently warm enough for him to be up for the summer.

Other than the usual warmer temps, longer days, etc. What do you guys do when bringing your Parson's out concerning foods, supplementation, and whatever else? Anything in particular? Or just offer different feeders until he takes something? Wasn't sure if I should start him off with some preformed vit A after a long winter with nothing, but water.

I'm not sure if him eating 1 BSFL today meant he is ready to come out of brumation or if it was just warm enough with an enticing food(he tends to love the little larvae for some reason) that he ended up eating it.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts.

Since no one seems to have any insight on this, figured I'd post a little update. Noticed him eating some isopods crawling around his enclosure, so I offered him a large dubia nymph and he ended up taking it. Didn't supplement anything yet. Seems to be back on track with eating.

Makes me wonder... there has been warmer days, even where I got him outside, this past winter, yet he had no interest in food. Now all of the sudden he's ready to eat again. Makes me think they can sense the season changes or have some way of telling that it's time to wake up other than the temperature alone.

Since no one seems to have any insight on this, figured I'd post a little update. Noticed him eating some isopods crawling around his enclosure, so I offered him a large dubia nymph and he ended up taking it. Didn't supplement anything yet. Seems to be back on track with eating.

Makes me wonder... there has been warmer days, even where I got him outside, this past winter, yet he had no interest in food. Now all of the sudden he's ready to eat again. Makes me think they can sense the season changes or have some way of telling that it's time to wake up other than the temperature alone.
I’ve been doing lots of research on parsons since this post and you have ignited an interest in them in me. This species is so interesting and falling in love with them. One day when I have a permit home I will invest in caring for one,till then my veileds will teach me how to be a better care taker for them

I’ve been doing lots of research on parsons since this post and you have ignited an interest in them in me. This species is so interesting and falling in love with them. One day when I have a permit home I will invest in caring for one,till then my veileds will teach me how to be a better care taker for them

I really enjoy mine. Much more chill than Panthers, but not really interested in human interaction. He does hand feed though.

Back
Top Bottom