Bringing chameleon along for a 2 week vacation

Patryk2572

I will soon be travelling by car with parents to visit family, the journey will last about 14-15 hours, we’ll be leaving at 10pm. We’re planning to stay there for 2 weeks, my question is; what do you guys think about me bringing my chameleon along for the two weeks ?

I’ve considered leaving him at home and someone would simply check up on him every now and then, however, I can’t think of anyone who would be willing as they’re mostly at work all day or also going on vacation. I’ve also tried to look for any pet sitters in my area, I’ve found only one which charges a little much.

I’ve found and read the following article with regards to travelling with a chameleon by car: https://chameleonowner.com/how-to-travel-with-your-chameleon-by-car/. I’m pretty much planning to do what is mentioned in the article, to sum up; set up a box with a branch between the two ends so he has something to hold onto, with a towel at the bottom; was thinking to place some extra foliage in the box in case he falls. I’d then place him in the box close the lid and wait around 30 minutes ensuring he’s asleep before getting him into the car. When I get to my destination I’ll have a terrarium waiting so I’ll just place him in there. I want to make stress minimal for him.

Curious to know what you guys think.

Lol.. there are not any words I can say that you will not get mad at... so go ahead take your puppy "chameleon" lol..

Go for it, why not? happy it right?
Take the light with you, cover his enclosure... You’re good... I met a breeder here in Tucson that treats his Chameleons like dogs... They all chill too and old...

Last edited by a moderator:
My entire enclosure is completely automated. I thought of this before I got a chameleon. As far as feeding, I would feed extra heavy for a couple days prior, then let him forage for food. I use bioactive substrate so I have a pretty consistent supply of feeders popping up(BSF’s, superworm beetles, and moth hawks. Again, I thought of this long before I adopted a chameleon, and it’s worked great.

If there are any reptile or exotic pet stores in your area they might have boarding services. How automated is your home system?

I've managed to find someone who will be able to check up on him and give him food every other day, I've also ordered an automated misting system ReptiRain from Zoo Med which will be arriving tomorrow (I've had my chameleon for almost a year now, don't know why I didn't get one), I also have a timer for the lights.

I'm so used to getting a rebuttal for giving advice, sorry about that, I'm glad you understand chameleons are asocial

Lol.. there are not any words I can say that you will not get mad at... so go ahead take your puppy "chameleon" lol..

On the contrary it seems the op is rather open to suggestions. I think you just read the title and seen new member and decided how it was going to go. We have all seen the posts that you thought this was going to be. I think you need to give people the benefit of the doubt before making assumptions about how it will go.

I have seen you post on many ne members threads that they should get a cat and I’m just wondering if you have stocks in a cat food company or something. Granted some of those threads went exactly how you thought they would doesn’t mean they all will.

I know I don’t always start talking to people I’m a good manner but I am constantly trying to work on it.

I know it is because you are passionate about chameleons but it doesn’t always come out in the right way. I’m sure you have a lot of valuable information that brain of yours that could benefit everyone on here and I for one would like to see you start to share some of that knowledge especially with the newer keepers that need the help.

I just seen you post above this one after I wrote all this but it still stands.

It is very tiresome, to pour your guts out to somebody trying to help, then they take the stubborn hard headed approach...Yes my chams are treated with the same care as my family!!
Yea we have all been there. A new memeber told me I wasn’t loved enough and I was a loser doesn’t mean I stop giving advice just very carefully who I give advice to now. You can’t cast all new members as “helpless” there are members out there that want the help but are scared to ask because they don’t want to be attacked for not knowing enough

Last edited:
Thanks!! Well I'm glad the op is open to advice!! If he/she took it on a road trip for 2 weeks it would die, indefenitely, so at least we help save a chameleon in this thread!!

Thanks!! Well I'm glad the op is open to advice!! If he/she took it on a road trip for 2 weeks it would die, indefenitely, so at least we help save a chameleon in this thread!!
OP wasnt saying he was taking his cham on a road trip for 2 weeks.
OP said they were going to take their cham with them on the drive to their destination, where a proper enclosure would be waiting for it.

I’m going on vacation next week actually and I’m having my cousin sit for her.... I made a 3 page google docs in EXCRUCIATING DETAIL because I don’t won’t any mistakes. I would suggest walking them through it step by step.
Hahahaha you sound just like me!
I leave for a week long trip to Mexico on Saturday. My mom is coming over today to get the run down on what to do. This is her second time sitting for Pesto, but that was 2 months ago when he was the size of a peanut and also only for a weekend so I'm making her get a refresher course :ROFLMAO:
Make sure you leave your cousin with plenty of jugs of distilled water and lots of bugs so she doesnt have to work really hard to find food! I also have already prepared gut load for the week so all my mom has to do is grab a scoop from the tub in the fridge and throw it in the bins. I tried to avoid anything that was too high in moisture so that we wouldnt have any mold issues so she would only have to spot clean, and the bugs are getting their water from orange halves which are super easy to swap put with fresh ones :) make it as easy as possible for her!

Hahahaha you sound just like me!
I leave for a week long trip to Mexico on Saturday. My mom is coming over today to get the run down on what to do. This is her second time sitting for Pesto, but that was 2 months ago when he was the size of a peanut and also only for a weekend so I'm making her get a refresher course :ROFLMAO:
Make sure you leave your cousin with plenty of jugs of distilled water and lots of bugs so she doesnt have to work really hard to find food! I also have already prepared gut load for the week so all my mom has to do is grab a scoop from the tub in the fridge and throw it in the bins. I tried to avoid anything that was too high in moisture so that we wouldnt have any mold issues so she would only have to spot clean, and the bugs are getting their water from orange halves which are super easy to swap put with fresh ones :) make it as easy as possible for her!
He is locked and loaded with 3 gallons, 32 Superworms, and at least 150 roaches.:p

He is locked and loaded with 3 gallons, 32 Superworms, and at least 150 roaches.:p
How long are you going to be gone for?

I did a test run for how much water I'll actually need for the week if she starts out with everything 100% full. She is going to have to refill my water jugs (I have an RO system so she can refill at home) twice because I go through about 10 gallons a week between Pesto, my bioactive snake enclosure, and my carnivorous plants lmao

Back
Top Bottom