Bringing chameleon along for a 2 week vacation

So you need to buy a timer to plug your humidifier in to. Like a timer that your family probably uses for Christmas lights. There are also smart plugs that connect to an app on your phone that you can set up times that way as well as turn the device on and off from your phone. Those are a bit more expensive though.
You set up the timer, plug the timer into your outlet, plug your humdifier in to the timer. Set the humidifier as always on, then when the timer ticks to the time you want it to turn on it will release the flow of electricity to your humidifier and itll turn on!
However, depending on the humidifier it may or may not work. I would see if your parents have an old Christmas light timer to test it before you go buying one. My humdifier does not work on a timer, but I just have it going all day in the room. My fogger is on a nighttime only timer.
That’s what we use for her lights, it took me 2 hours to figure out how to re set it :LOL: with a video!!

I will soon be travelling by car with parents to visit family, the journey will last about 14-15 hours, we’ll be leaving at 10pm. We’re planning to stay there for 2 weeks, my question is; what do you guys think about me bringing my chameleon along for the two weeks ?

I’ve considered leaving him at home and someone would simply check up on him every now and then, however, I can’t think of anyone who would be willing as they’re mostly at work all day or also going on vacation. I’ve also tried to look for any pet sitters in my area, I’ve found only one which charges a little much.

I’ve found and read the following article with regards to travelling with a chameleon by car: https://chameleonowner.com/how-to-travel-with-your-chameleon-by-car/. I’m pretty much planning to do what is mentioned in the article, to sum up; set up a box with a branch between the two ends so he has something to hold onto, with a towel at the bottom; was thinking to place some extra foliage in the box in case he falls. I’d then place him in the box close the lid and wait around 30 minutes ensuring he’s asleep before getting him into the car. When I get to my destination I’ll have a terrarium waiting so I’ll just place him in there. I want to make stress minimal for him.

Curious to know what you guys think.
You have already gotten great feedback... What I have done in case I have to take a trip is written out a detailed guide to what my boy's care is everyday. I did this as I was actually going through the motions of a normal day with him so I did not forget anything. The more automated you have everything the less room for error as well. I also would prep any gutload prior. If you use something like Bug burger for your feeders then this can be prepped prior and then cut into pieces for each days feeding of the bugs. If you have a local mom and pop reptile store you might be able to find an employee that is already used to working with reptiles to come by each morning and night to check on things. They also have webcams that you can put into your cage in a corner and then you can check in to see how your guy is doing from your phone. :)

You have already gotten great feedback... What I have done in case I have to take a trip is written out a detailed guide to what my boy's care is everyday. I did this as I was actually going through the motions of a normal day with him so I did not forget anything. The more automated you have everything the less room for error as well. I also would prep any gutload prior. If you use something like Bug burger for your feeders then this can be prepped prior and then cut into pieces for each days feeding of the bugs. If you have a local mom and pop reptile store you might be able to find an employee that is already used to working with reptiles to come by each morning and night to check on things. They also have webcams that you can put into your cage in a corner and then you can check in to see how your guy is doing from your phone. :)
My nanny cam is the best purchase I've ever made. Its motion activated so I know when my mom gets to my apartment so I can watch her go through everything, and I can talk through it so I like to scare her and make sure she knows I'm watching :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Maybe post the link of the one you got Sara so if they are interested they can buy it. :)
Tbh the specific one I have isnt that great. The resolution doesnt do a great job with the screen so the quality of video isnt awesome. But it does the job to be able to see his temp and humidity gauges as well as his feeder run to know he is eating and occasionally get the joy of watching him eat. It was cheap, only like $20. If you have the money I would suggest getting a better one, otherwise the one I have is no different from any of the other $20 ones on Amazon. I also ignored all of the reviews on that complained about "they get access to your info!" And "its watching me!" And I just really try to not walk around without a shirt on in my living room where my camera is (not always successful).

Prepping the gut load is a good idea I’ll definitely use. I only have a single local reptile store but they’re unable to do any sort of visits that’s why I asked a friend instead which lives really close. I actually have a WiFi camera already which I was planning to install so I can see his enclosure and make sure everything is fine, in case anything happens I’ll contact my friend so they can pop in and check.

Couple suggestions:
Back up lightbulb.
Timers.
Baby monitor.
Make sure they are familiar with the misting system so it doesn’t accidentally get switched to on instead of short cycles and run dry. I left someone in charge and that happened to me.

I have a backup lightbulb which I ordered a while back as well a timer for the lights. I also have a WiFi camera which I’ll install so I can see his enclosure. I’ll also get them familiar with the misting system. Thanks for the suggestion.

Whenever I go away I leave my mom in charge of all my animals. I write everything down on a big white board and go through everything with her. Never thought of leaving spare lights out but I definitely will now. I have only gone away for 5 days at most since I got my chams so I just leave enough food in individual containers for 1 feeding in the middle.

I only trust my mom to take care of my animals but I worry the entire time I’m gone. The worst part is I’m usually going somewhere with no cell phone service so it’s 5 days of wondering if everything is ok.

Whenever I go away I leave my mom in charge of all my animals. I write everything down on a big white board and go through everything with her. Never thought of leaving spare lights out but I definitely will now. I have only gone away for 5 days at most since I got my chams so I just leave enough food in individual containers for 1 feeding in the middle.

I only trust my mom to take care of my animals but I worry the entire time I’m gone. The worst part is I’m usually going somewhere with no cell phone service so it’s 5 days of wondering if everything is ok.
Yeah, I've had friends offer to take care of all of my animals and I'm like nope, only my mother! She raised such a wonderful child after all, I trust her to take care of my animals too :cool:

That's a good idea. Maybe I'll log in on my desktop and leave it up so she can hop on if need be.

I just say it to her when I’m not going to have cell service. Otherwise she can call me and I can walk her through it. Like last year when I was fishing and 3 days in I get a call that nalas cage didn’t seem to be getting misted. I had turned the mister off while cleaning the night before I left and forget to turn it back on.

I have one with a dial and I have a automatic plug that turns it on and off. These are what I use for my lights as well never had problems yet
Etekcity Smart Plug, Works with Alexa, Google Home and IFTTT, WiFi Energy Monitoring Mini Outlet with Timer (4-Pack), No Hub Required, ETL Listed, White, 2 Years Warranty and Lifetime Support https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074GVPYPY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0GgoDb87GMFF2View attachment 240685

Just want to say thanks to Joxie for this recommendation. Took me a few days to get it all dialed it but full automation has been a blessing!

Back
Top Bottom