Breeding woodlice

fuzzhc

Has anyone ever bred the common woodlouse for feeding? I think the most common we have in the uk is called Oniscus asellus. I'm just really looking for more variety in my chams diet and if these breed as easy as roaches and a good feeder then I want to try my hand at these.

I already breed roaches but just buy in the rest of the feeders- superworms, mealworms, calci worms/soldier flys, locusts

Hahaha!! :D

Thanks I'll have a look at that!
How do your chams take to eating them? Mine will often go off dubia for a while and it can be tricky to get them back to eating them again. I'm guessing it could be the same with the isopods seen as they look similar to juvi roaches lol?

Edit: do they need a heat source or is room temperature enough?

Last edited:
My guys like them. My frogs eat more of them than my chams do though lol. They are just small compared to the other feeders I offer.

Good to know and thanks again for the info. Gonna see if eBay UK has any in large quantities to buy as I think it will be hard to find many at this time of year here lol. If my chams ever decide to stop hating each other and breed, guess I can feed the nymphs off to the hatchlings :D

Don't worry about the size being smaller. Chameleons can 'fill up' better on smaller foods than large items. I feed even my adult panthers medium crickets. They eat more overall and look healthier, no question about it. Keeps them more active also, while hunting a little more.

Good to know and thanks again for the info. Gonna see if eBay UK has any in large quantities to buy as I think it will be hard to find many at this time of year here lol. If my chams ever decide to stop hating each other and breed, guess I can feed the nymphs off to the hatchlings :D

If you can get to the Hamm show in December I know they will be for sale.

Carl

Thanks. I generally feed off the smaller roaches aswell, so that's good to hear.

I live in scotland so won't be able to make it haha :p

Has anyone ever bred the common woodlouse for feeding? I think the most common we have in the uk is called Oniscus asellus. I'm just really looking for more variety in my chams diet and if these breed as easy as roaches and a good feeder then I want to try my hand at these.

I already breed roaches but just buy in the rest of the feeders- superworms, mealworms, calci worms/soldier flys, locusts

Did you have any luck with this? I'm in the uk and struggling to find my chameleon something different to eat.

Back
Top Bottom