Breeding Veiled Chameleons

Chase

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello, I was wondering about information about breeding Veileds. Also, if you've bred them, how was your experience? And, how do you stray away from keeping them all :D:rolleyes:?

Thanks,
LPR08

Read raisingkittytheveiled chameleon, he has a breeding section i think... i have notes one sec ill post them..

I've read it, I just want to know experiences, I'm very excited to get into it. One thing I was wondering is, do they need a Diapause?

I would be interested that that answer also. I have a clutch that is now 150 days old kept at about 75 degrees. I was wondering if there was anything I should do to encourage hatching when the time comes, or perhaps now...

My Veiled chameleon notes

Hey, i made these notes up, around a month ago, and read these / other info at night.

Veiled Chameleon Breeding

Veiled chameleons are sexually mature at around 9-12 months old. Female veiled chameleons show blue/green coloured robin egg sized spots on her skin when she is receptive to breeding, and she will not color up.
When a male is receptive to breeding he will show colours, and bob his head to impress the female. If the female is ready for breeding, she will allow the male to approach her, and be on the same branch as her. If she is not ready, she will hiss and start to colour up

Then they will mate

When the female is Gravid

Once gravid, the female will reject the males advances and will start hissing or color up, so you should seperate them. you must keep the male and female from seeing eachother, this just causes added stress, so keep them in differant cages/rooms. the female will take about 20 - 30 days to lay the eggs (the most i heard was 42 days...

Laying of the eggs

The laying of the eggs will occur 20 to 30 days after breeding, during this time, it is a must to give her calcium dusted meals everyday (crickets mealworms etc.) so that the eggs can for perfectly. When she is ready to lay the eggs, she will go off food and will walk around tyhe bottom ogf the enclosure (As if trying to get out) Unless you ha ve a laying bin in her cage, put a laying bin in the cage, or put her into a laying bin. (A laying bin can be a 5-8 gallon bucket, filled with 1/3 to 2/3 of a mixture of coconut husk, and playsand) Make sure its moist, but not wet, so it can hold a tunnel. She should then lay them within a few hours, dont let he see you watching.

The eggs have been laid

Carefully remove the eggs (be careful not toturn them) from the container, and put them into an incubator (or tupperware with vermiculite/perlite). To lay them, just push a hole with your thumb into the vermiculite and place the egg in. lay them in roms, 1 ijn apart from eachother. in the tupperware make a few 1/8 holes in the lid, for ventilation and in the tupperware put 3:2 vermiculite : water (or 2:1 i read 2 differant sites) The tupperware or incubator temperature should be around 80 - 88f. and have a drop to about 74 at night (This should hatch the eggs in about 150 - 190 days.

When the eggs are almost to their hatching date

The eggs will shrink slightly when they are almost ready to hatch, they will also 'sweat'. check once per week for the first 4 months, then for the remainder check 3-4 times per week, usually they take around 4-9 months to hatch. When the eggs hatch, the chameleon will lay with his head out looking rather dead for anywhere from an hour, to a day or so, before climbing out

Hope this helps :)

Levi

Veiled Breeding

We breed veiled chameleons on a fairly large scale. We incubate our eggs at about 82 degrees adding water to keep the medium moist. A constant 82 degrees for six months then add water around each individual egg. At about 6 1/2 months they usually hatch. We have tried a diapause with veiled eggs and found that there was not too much of a difference. With the diapause, panthers hatched at about 8-9 months. With no diapause they hatched out at 9 months. This is from our personal experience. I have heard that the diapause works well for some and not for others.

Last edited:
help on chameleon eggs

hi ive had veiled chameleon eggs in an incubator for 126, and still no sign of them hatching. three of them went black and yellowish and were really rubbery, but the rest are still really snow white and rather large. however this morning i did notice that a few of them are starting to cave in a little bit. does anyone have any advice that could help me. This is the first batch of eggs my female has hadl. was it normal for her to have 59 eggs for her first lot???:):D

I would be interested that that answer also. I have a clutch that is now 150 days old kept at about 75 degrees. I was wondering if there was anything I should do to encourage hatching when the time comes, or perhaps now...

Ive only hatched one clutch of veiled so my experience is limited with them, but i kept mine between 73-77 and they hatched in exactly 8 months. Just be patient, 5 month is way to early to be inducing hatching at those temps. Linkinpark, if your looking for a first time species to hatch, veileds are great but you probably know they lay pretty large clutches so be prepared. The babys are super easy to raise but they eat beyond belief. I had a clutch of 45 (I think its 45 LOL) and not one of them even died, and I was feeding them about 2k crickets a week. Dont get me wrong, they require plenty of attention cause they are baby but veileds are super resilient babys.

Alish, 126 days sound way to soon for them to be hatching. Keep an eye on those eggs, they may be lacking moisture and drying out. If they were my eggs i would drop ONE drop of water next to each dented egg. If they remain dented, drop one more, and if they are still dented i leave them alone and see what happens cause ive done that to eggs and it took a couple of days for them to plump back up.

I am incubating my eggs ar 75 degrees. They have incubated so far for 150 days, but have another 50-100 days to go. If your eggs are caving in I would suggest that you check your vermiculite to see how damp it is. It should feel damp to the touch. If it feels dry, take a medicine dropper (I use one to give medicine to children, I get it at my pharmacy), fill with warm water and add water to the edges of the container and between rows if there is enough room so you don't get the eggs wet. Put the cover back on and check them in another day. If there is a little moisture on the sides it is ok, if there is a lot of moisture inside the box you may want to leave the top slightly ajar to let some of the water vapor out. Your eggs should rehydrate and get plump again.

If they cave and change color to black and fuzzy I would think the neonate has died.

Alish, 126 days sound way to soon for them to be hatching. Keep an eye on those eggs, they may be lacking moisture and drying out. If they were my eggs i would drop ONE drop of water next to each dented egg. If they remain dented, drop one more, and if they are still dented i leave them alone and see what happens cause ive done that to eggs and it took a couple of days for them to plump back up.

Thank you very much ill get straight on and do that :) how many days does it take for the eggs to hatch, as the info our reptile place has given us seems to be all wrong and really crap lol.!!!

It usually takes anywhere from 180-240 days, 6-8 months. (it can go longer and I have seen them hatch out sooner)

Thank you very much ill get straight on and do that :) how many days does it take for the eggs to hatch, as the info our reptile place has given us seems to be all wrong and really crap lol.!!!

My babies are Hatching

Hello all, i have my first clutch of veiled hatching now. Two are already hatched and move, one did not make it out alive he opened the slit but didn't make it any further:( but i have one now that my boyfriend afraid that he was dead, but to our surprise he moved. :eek: The sack is still attached but we aren;t sure what to do next. He has been removed from the egg and i have placed him on a napkin on top of the tank that the two little hatch-lings are in. He has moved a little several times so i think he is alive. Is there anything i can do to help this little dude out. Should i keep him near a light or should i put him back in the dark.

Hello all, i have my first clutch of veiled hatching now. Two are already hatched and move, one did not make it out alive he opened the slit but didn't make it any further:( but i have one now that my boyfriend afraid that he was dead, but to our surprise he moved. :eek: The sack is still attached but we aren;t sure what to do next. He has been removed from the egg and i have placed him on a napkin on top of the tank that the two little hatch-lings are in. He has moved a little several times so i think he is alive. Is there anything i can do to help this little dude out. Should i keep him near a light or should i put him back in the dark.

They often play dead or stay very still for awhile when they first hatch. I would leave them alone and allow them to hatch on thier on and don't remove them as soon as they hatch. Others here with more breeding experience will hopefully see this.

Hello Devila00

You can keep the baby in the light and see if he comes around. Keep him warm (75-80) . Sometimes baby's hatch with egg sacs still attached and they will fall off on their own.

If for some reason the baby is weak , there is not a whole lot you can do because they are so small. It may be a problem that happened in incubation or bad development. Unfortunately if this is the case you will have to let nature take its course... Loosing baby's is the downside to breeding .

Hopfully this is not the case and the little one comes around. You can try to lightly mist him with a spray bottle (fine mist) but don't soak him.

First off, I am new to the forum. I've used it for quite some time as a reference, but I had not registered until now. I also am aware that this particular thread was started by Chase, and it was several years ago, but I thought I'd weigh in on a few of the posts :)
My first viable/fertile clutch of Veiled eggs just began hatching yesterday. So far I have 3 ity bity babies, and man are they just the cutest and toughest little things I have ever seen! I would have to say that it has been a pretty gratifying experience so far, and it's forced me to practice patience! The mother (Creature) laid 99 eggs at the very end of January, so it's been a little over 6 months of incubating, but they are here finally. She has always laid massive clutches of eggs, although I know that 1 or 2 of those were my fault for over feeding her. I like to provide a wide range of food for my Chams for nutritional proposes and also because I love them and spoil them. I know I enjoy variety in my diet, so maybe they appreciate eating things other than crickets :) They always have access to Hibiscus and Pothos, and other feeders include; crickets, horn worms, Dubia roaches, super worms, calci worms, silk worms, and Creature has recently discovered that she like Blueberries (which we enjoy snacking on together!)

Anyways, like I said earlier, we have 98 (clutch was 99, but one was not viable when it was laid) so we could end up with a pretty large group of babies to care for and eventually sell. While I've been waiting their "arrival" my guy and I have discussed our approach to off loading the majority, since people aren't necessarily breaking down doors to acquire chameleons. Aside from the obvious ways, I spoke to someone at one of the reptile expos we attend every month. He told me that the breeder, that I bought two of my chams from, will actually buy from others for wholesale prices. Thought I would mention it in response to the last part of Chases' original post re: how to prevent having to keep them all. You could ask other breeder you know, or through animal expos etc, if they will buy unwanted juveniles/babies/ etc.

I would like to get to be a reputable breeder/supplier of Chameleons in the future, and this first successful clutch will be my first experience with the process. So far I am enjoying my window into their miniaturized world. It's a tad stressful because this is my first go at it, and I want to be sure to do everything right. There is a lot to do for them and provide them, and since I haven't done this before, I don't yet know what is going to work best when it comes to feeding, misting and even their habitats. I know what they require, I just don't have that smooth, easy routine down yet. If anyone has experience with raising Veiled hatchlings, and would share your tips or tried and true methods, I would appreciate it.

hi ive had veiled chameleon eggs in an incubator for 126, and still no sign of them hatching. three of them went black and yellowish and were really rubbery, but the rest are still really snow white and rather large. however this morning i did notice that a few of them are starting to cave in a little bit. does anyone have any advice that could help me. This is the first batch of eggs my female has hadl. was it normal for her to have 59 eggs for her first lot???:):D

I know this was from a few years back, but I wanted to ask if the eggs your female laid were actually fertile? No one asked, and if they were not, than I would suspect that that was probably why they were shriveling up on you. Females will lay eggs regardless of whether or not they were bred with a male.

If they were fertile, than the answers the others gave you about rehydrating the medium they are in, hopefully fixed that issue.

The last thing I wanted to mention was about hatching. It is a bit early for them to hatch, but sometimes the eggs will cave in a bit and even form little sweat beads right before hatching. That's another thing to consider. Hoped everything worked out for you and the eggs!

Oh and in regards to the amount of eggs, I would say that that falls in the normal range. My females first clutch was something like 50 or 60 eggs, and they have only gotten larger in number since then. I over fed her before, and it was summer time, so it was extra warm. These factors can cause your female to produce particularly large clutches.

I would say that it's a good idea to pay attention to her cycles, and be sure that she gets a little extra calcium during the time that she is forming eggs. They use a lot of calcium in the production of eggs. this was my first female, and I think that I fell very short of giving her the extra calcium she needed while developing her fist few clutches. She has suffered from Metabolic Bone Disease since then, and I feel terrible about it. Unfortunately even with researching proper care, I learned a lot about taking care of these guys thru experience with raising Creature. She was my first and I had intended to get a male but got the female by mistake. She had little bumps on her heel that looked like tiny tarsal spurs. After a week or so, I realized she was indeed a girl. :eek:

I don't have much to add to the responses you already got from other members aside from to urge you not to interfere with the actual hatching process. It can take them quite some time to actually make their way out of the eggs, but they'll make it with out any help. I know that they are supposed to absorb the remainder of the yolk sack before they emerge. One of the sites that said that made it seem as if they are doing that as they emerge, others say that that occurs while still completely in the egg.

My first clutch started hatching the other day and I can say that some of them came out really quick, while others took almost all day. Their little head was sticking out, and they would move @ a bit, and then rest a while. They look dead sometimes, but they are just taking a break.

Hope you enjoyed and are enjoying your little ones!

Once your babies hatch how do you guys sell them?
Some members list them here in the market section under "Chameleons for sale" but you have to investigate shipping since forum members are all over the place. Some people list on craigs list but you have to say rehoming not for sale or they block your ad. Craigs list will introduce you to the world of flakes but you can find local buyers. Expect to exchange approximately 25 messages or more for each sale. You can sell to brokers as mentioned above but the handling they get after you sell them will rarely what you would give them.

Back
Top Bottom