Breeding Projects

kylerenz

Established Member
I know the incubation is ridiculous in length and the hatch rate is never great but is anyone or does anyone know of someone that is considering a breeding project with Parson's?

Thanks

Kyle

I know the incubation is ridiculous in length and the hatch rate is never great but is anyone or does anyone know of someone that is considering a breeding project with Parson's?

Thanks

Kyle

I bred a trio of Parsoni from 1990 to 1996. Had two babies hatch in late 1996 with the remaining eggs all dieing with full grown embryos. The two babies only lasted a few hours before dieing. I still am not certain but I believe I provided too much humidity the last month of incubation (around the 16 month) and the egg shell's soaked up too much moisture and became very tough, making it too hard for the babies to get out.
I was devastated and left the hobby shortly after that. My breeding pair was sold to a gentleman down South and they went on to produce eggs for him. He was fortunate enough to get a large percentage of one clutch to hatch out I think in 1998. The lone female went to another breeder out in California and I lost track of her.
A few years ago, I decided to get back into the hobby, but to only focus on Parsoni. I still do not have any, but through my searching over the past few years, I have come across quite a few hobbyists both here in the US and across The Pond, with Parsoni in their collections, some have eggs incubating right now, but most of these hobbyists have young adult animals just reaching, or not quite yet, of breeding age. They are getting close though.
I know there are some members on this forum that have some very nice Parsoni collections, of whom I am very jealous! :) Hopefully they'll chime in too.
If my luck holds out, I may be finally getting my hands on some yearlings with high hopes I can reproduce my modest success with these awesome animals. It will be a few years I'm sure, but I think we'll start seeing some babies here in the states.
There are some very dedicated hobbyists and collectors that are taking on the challenge. Information sharing is sparse on these guys but I think a few of the US hobbyists will be willing to pool resources and knowledge base to help each other out. I know I certainly will be.

Last edited:
At what temps. did you incubate the eggs?
How many eggs were in the clutches you produced?

I raised all three of my parsoni from juveniles. The male was a bit bigger than the both females, so I'm guessing he was at least 6 months to a year older than them. The females were about the same size, so I'm guessing they were also very similar in age. They were all wild caught back then of course.
It was in my third year of keeping them that they started to breed. The female's first clutches were small, 21 and 24 eggs respectively. Their second clutches were 41 and 38. The last clutch was 37 and 40. All clutches made it 6 months, or more, before going bad. The one clutch of 41 eggs made it all the way, but you know the results of that already :(.
I incubated the eggs at room temperature, ranging between 65 and 70 degrees. The eggs were placed in vermiculite and peat moss mixed substrate with a bit of water added around the edges of the container every two weeks for humidity.

I think they might have been too wet. I have had my veiled eggs cooking now for 4 months and havent added any water to the vermiculite. When the vermiculite is pinched it is still damp and the eggs are still well rounded.

What kind of laying set up did you have for the females.
So you think the eggs were too wet and not too warm?
What kind of shape were the ones in that did hatch?

What kind of laying set up did you have for the females.
So you think the eggs were too wet and not too warm?
What kind of shape were the ones in that did hatch?
I think that its highly likely that I had too much moisture in the vermiculite during the final few months of incubation, which caused the egg shells to become thicker and more leather like. I don't think it ever got too warm for the eggs, topping out at 70 degrees at most. I did my best to keep the eggs around 65, but again, I was new to this back then and didn't have an incubator.
The two babies that hatched were very week and I could tell that something was not right. They only lived for about 2 hours or so. After they died, I checked the other eggs and all the babies had died in the egg.

How old is she and how many did she lay?

She came into the states in 2003. I'm guessing she was close to a year old then. Had her green color back in the NERD promo picture that year. So 6, or 7 years old is my guessing. Frist clutch ever that she laid, 36 eggs in Feb. 08, that where non viable, or kept too moist. Second clutch was laid Nov. 09 with a total of 20 eggs laid. Fingers-crossed.

wow Steve!! those really do look like bird eggs!! lol!! how much larger are they compared to veiled or panther eggs?

pregnacy

hallo you all.i hav a female that is pregnant i wonder how your laying places look barrels etc. and how long shall i wait,shall i try oxytocin or?

She came into the states in 2003. I'm guessing she was close to a year old then. Had her green color back in the NERD promo picture that year. So 6, or 7 years old is my guessing. Frist clutch ever that she laid, 36 eggs in Feb. 08, that where non viable, or kept too moist. Second clutch was laid Nov. 09 with a total of 20 eggs laid. Fingers-crossed.

That is November 9, 2008?

Back
Top Bottom