Breeding Oustalet's?

The female looks great!!! The male was always very nervous here but would hand feed. He could be hanging on top because of a few reasons. It could be he is just trying to roam around to find a female. He would show off for the girl but she would not want anything to do with him whenever I would take the visual barrier away. I would say she is receptive if she is staying calm.

Thanks! So if she is being receptive right now and seems to be doing well should I try breeding her now? Or should I wait until the next time she is receptive since I just got her?

I've been taking the little male outside for natural UV the past couple days and he seems to be liking it and is settling a little more every day since I've been doing it. He likes to roam in the small tree in my back yard. He does hand feed for me and also eats from a bowl. I think he is just afraid of us and a little freaked about being in a new cage and surroundings. He definitely is more nervous than the female. She acts as if she has always been here with me:)

Julirs too bad you live so far from me. Think what huge offspring your female and my Rex could make! They would be like dinosaurs!

I think they would make most excellent babies. She is ready but Oscar is a moron!

I would wait until she adjusts to her new home. She is almost a year old.

To be honest I don't dear to give you advice on to breed her ys or no.
With a normal healthy animal from 11 months I would let her breed. But as you just have had her for only a week I think you can't be very certain about how she is fed and if she has had the neccesary vitamins and calcium, which are very important when you want to breed with your chameleons.
I
So the dessicion is up to you, but with any doubt about her hisory I'd wait. When everything is perfect AND she has addepted as good as you say: which means eating and drinking very good, and normal behaviour, no sleeping during the day I would let it happen.

To be honest I don't dear to give you advice on to breed her ys or no.
With a normal healthy animal from 11 months I would let her breed. But as you just have had her for only a week I think you can't be very certain about how she is fed and if she has had the neccesary vitamins and calcium, which are very important when you want to breed with your chameleons.
I
So the dessicion is up to you, but with any doubt about her hisory I'd wait. When everything is perfect AND she has addepted as good as you say: which means eating and drinking very good, and normal behaviour, no sleeping during the day I would let it happen.

Great information, Steven. I cant say yes or no myself either. There are many opinions on this. However she was in my care for UHHHH, a while:rolleyes: I can dig that up here later.

I had put her on a maintenance schedule a month or so prior to shipping her out to you. She was not overfed before the maintenance schedule either. Her supplement schedule here was how I would go about supplementing a panther chameleon. I was getting her ready to breed in my care and if I had kept the pair I would have let them breed whenever she was ready but again I am not going to say yes or no:eek: They are yours now:p

I will stress about overfeeding chameleons. Gravid females and males all together. "Bulking them up" by feeding a lot to make them grow faster is not the way to go about getting her ready to breed. A good feeding/supplement schedule is the way to go. Overfed females can lay clutches way too big for their on good and overfeeding them WILL cause problems and a short life span.

I am glad they are doing well. The male had always acted very nervous. He should come around more after he gets used to you but Im not sure he will be like Rex and want to hang out with you:) That guy is a complete monster!!!!! I couldnt have asked for a better home for the pair. Whatever you decide to do at this moment is up to you but I am sure you will do great with them non the less.

Hmm ok I will keep everything in mind then. I'm still undecided. I know she was well taken care of before I got her from Cain. He seems to know what he is doing with chams, lol!!! She does seem perfectly at home here and not stressed at all about the change. Hmm......I'll keep thinking on it and let you guys know. It's like on one hand I'm like she just got here but on the other hand shes doing great adjusting, very healthy and to be honest I have no idea how old Rex is and I worry that old "what if?" scenario, is he too old? what if he dies from old age before I can breed him, etc? Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it. I shoulda joined this forum awhile ago, lol!

Ha Ha it's ok if he doesn't ever act like my loving monster Rex, I'll still love him:)

They look great together.
Hope you are feeling better prettykttkat. :)
I think you have it right. ;)
Based on the story of Rex as you told me, he obviously has been through alot of stress. Without knowing his age, breeding him when both are ready and willing may be the best option.
We wish you luck. Hope to get to see them soon.
Best Home,
howie

12" total? My female is 8" nose to vent-so probably about 16" total.

Juli,
Im thinking my girl is going to be more along the lines of yours. She is 5 months old and near the lenghts of 10 inches and already 55 grams. They male is 8 months or so, and gaining wieght on the daily. He is 155 grams for now, but he is still growing in length by a ton!

I have to find the article, but im quite sure that your girl is around average size for oustalets...I will post the article in a bit. :)

-Jake

Juli,
Im thinking my girl is going to be more along the lines of yours. She is 5 months old and near the lenghts of 10 inches and already 55 grams. They male is 8 months or so, and gaining wieght on the daily. He is 155 grams for now, but he is still growing in length by a ton!

I have to find the article, but im quite sure that your girl is around average size for oustalets...I will post the article in a bit. :)

-Jake

Jake-let's see some pics of yours!

Remember that other Oustlalet that I had-she stayed consderably smaller than Emerald.

Jake-let's see some pics of yours!

Remember that other Oustlalet that I had-she stayed consderably smaller than Emerald.

I will show you a few pictures, but they're outdated :/ I dont have my nic camera with me right now...

Here is Bonnie:
bonnie1.jpg

Here is Clyde:
clyde2.jpg

clyde1.jpg

Bonnie has nearly doubled in size in 2 months, got here at 31 grams, shes now 55. Clyde has gained 45 grams and is now 155. They were bought at the same time, and are about 5 months, and 8 months.

Thanks,
Jake

Jake that female is really stunning such colors for an uncolorful beast!

Thanks! I believe that these colors are never shown again once a female is bred or reaches that age...One of the two. So I'm enjoying them while I can :D

I will get some full body pictures soon once I retrieve my camera!

Thanks Again,
Jake

Aww they are cute!

If yours is 8 months and 155 grams then does that mean the other male I have will be small? The little new male that came with the female is the same size as her and is 11 months old. Here's some pics of him

prettykttkat-albums-oustalet-s-chameleon-picture2135-11-month-old-male-oustalets-chameleon.jpg

prettykttkat-albums-oustalet-s-chameleon-picture2136-11-month-old-male-oustalets-chameleon.jpg

You know I really gotta figure out names for these new chams:)

Maybe mine will just be big, Im unsure...As it's my first time working with them. Here is a picture of him at six months on my hand.

Out2.jpg

He was 110 grams here.

-Jake

Heres a few pics of Guido and Ms Audrey doin the deed! The first picture is of them moving towards eachother - the others are self explanatory! Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_1300_1.JPG
    IMG_1300_1.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1310_1.JPG
    IMG_1310_1.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1311_1.JPG
    IMG_1311_1.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 251
He's cute. Maybe your male will get huge like my other one(Rex). He is a monster, lol! I wonder when Oustalet's stop growing and are full size? I know they don't grow to adult size as fast as other chams.

Alright, here's a crappy cell phone picture of him...The full 155 grams lol. Hes got a ways til full grown, but hes a gentle giant already.

clyde3.jpg

Thanks,
Jake

PS: My hands make him look not to big, but Im a big guy...So you get the point LOL

Back
Top Bottom