Breeding age and weight is ok ?

chamillion

Established Member
Hi everyone. I bought a red bar ambilobe female. The seller said me she laid 30 eggs a month ago. So I bring her to home and tried to breeding. Her colors are ready. But it seems very young. Very bad trying. She acts very agressive. She bite my male so I take her to her cage. Her weight is 41 gram. And seller said me she is 11 months old. Is this possible ? Or seller lied to me ?

And she is:

when with my male Perseus :

It is highly possible that your female laid 30 eggs a month ago, however I would question whether or not they were fertile. By the weight you say she is (41 grams) I would assume it was an infertile clutch and your chameleon is actually closer to 6-7 months old, not 11 months old. I would definitely keep her separate from the male, and fatten her up at least another 30-35 grams plus 6-8 months before you attempt to breed again.

Instead of rushing to breed her maybe you could let her settle in for a bit.

Carl

I would agree with the above. I have a 6 month old female that is at 59g which is because I have simply left her alone and let her grow!

Either from the weight perspective, or the age perspective, I would wait quite a while before you tried to breed them again.

I know it is tempting, but you will simply encounter problems down the road or she will die prematurely.

Instead of rushing to breed her maybe you could let her settle in for a bit.

Carl

I second this - I don't think it's the best idea to bring a brand new home into a totally different environment and then throw a male at her. For starters, what if she gives your male something? It's always smart to quarantine a new animal for at least several weeks before introducing them to anyone, and it gives you time to test them for parasites, treat anything if needed, and get them in good shape.

And give her time to relax and settle in. A stressed female is never going to be the best breeder, regardless of her size, weight, or disposition. Remember, the health of any future babies starts long before the female lays eggs.

Thank you. You wrote very well. It is what I exactly doing at this time. I take her a new very big cage. She loves her cage I think. She looks very good. She eats huge grasshoppers and morio worms. She drinks well. Her colours are beautiful. Bright pink :) I will wait 2 months. And I will take her to males cage. I'm impatient about breeding reptiles :(

2 months may not be long enough to get your female up to a suitable weight. I think 6 months is a more reasonable expectation. You do not want a gravid female that ends up dying because she had poor health before mating, for example being underweight or too young.

Back
Top Bottom