Breeder Sold Me A Chameleon With A Parasite

Banders675

So I purchased a Chameleon from a breeder at the reptile show in San Jose. I emailed said breeder the next day telling him that my new Cham's stool looked a little funny. I never got a reply from the breeder so I took Irie (My Cham) to the vet and the tests came back positive for parasites. What should I do? The breeder is on this site selling other people Chameleons.

Both of my other chams have been tested before and since bringing the new cham into the house and they are both 100% parasite free. So Irie came from the breeder like this.

I would keep trying to contact the breeder and fax them or email them a copy of your vet bill that states your chameleon has parasites. I would hope that any of our site sponsors would guarantee their chameleons.

Buying a chameleon with parasites is a pretty common thing especially if you buy from a large breeder. I did fecals on all my babies before they went to their new home but that is a very uncommon thing for a breeder to do.

The breeder is on this site selling other people Chameleons.

Unfortunately just because they sell on this site doesn't make them reputable.

Now just because it has parasites doesn't make them not reputable either. What they do after the fact is what matters the most.

I would continue to contact them. Maybe call if they have a phone number. Some people don't check emails over the weekend either. Good luck!

Hopefully the breeder responds. Was this a CB baby chameleon? A wild caught?

We are located just 45 minutes south of San Jose and had no idea there was even a reptile show so close this year (!)

If the chameleon looks healthy, i doubt the breeder would do a fecal before selling. If the chameleon does not look healthy and you bought it. Well that is a bad on both of you.

If he did not state a health warranty at the time of sell and or you did not ask... Chalk it up as a learning experience. ALWAYS, ask about a health guarantee.

Now just because it has parasites doesn't make them not reputable either. What they do after the fact is what matters the most.

I would continue to contact them. Maybe call if they have a phone number. Some people don't check emails over the weekend either. Good luck!

I know there are members who breed and sell, but I think all of our site sponsors as a rule are pretty reputable, atleast what I have seen transpire on here since I have been a member. And as you stated, just because it has a parasite does not make them a bad breeder.

No calls or return emails

No. Said breeder will not return calls or emails.

Santa Clara County Fair grounds

Hopefully the breeder responds. Was this a CB baby chameleon? A wild caught?

We are located just 45 minutes south of San Jose and had no idea there was even a reptile show so close this year (!)

He is a CB. There is a show every year at the Santa Clara County Fair Grounds in San Jose. It was very small this year. There is also one in Sacramento today and tomorrow I'm planning on heading there in the morning.

Asking questions

If the chameleon looks healthy, i doubt the breeder would do a fecal before selling. If the chameleon does not look healthy and you bought it. Well that is a bad on both of you.

If he did not state a health warranty at the time of sell and or you did not ask... Chalk it up as a learning experience. ALWAYS, ask about a health guarantee.

I asked about a half a million questions before I handed my money over. I asked how his poop looked, if he had any issues, his eating habits, sleeping habits, hell I even bought the cage he was in just so the shock would not be as bad. I was assured that he was 100% healthy and had no health risks or parasites. I even walked around for an hour before I returned to buy him hoping he would poop so I could see for myself. No luck. I got him home and after 2 days he pretty mush pooped runny chalk. I have been trying to contact the breeder ever since.

My next question

So now what? The vet gave us some stuff to give him but said if he starts acting funny take him off it and bring him in. This worries me, they said that they are treating for multiple parasites, So would getting a culture done to find out just what we are fighting be a healthier way to get rid of this and make sure my boy is 100% safe?

We had a stool sample done and that is how we found the parasites.

Last edited:
If they used the stool sample to do a fecal float, that would let them know if there are multiple parasites. However, sometimes the parasites aren't in the phase they need to be to have evidence in the sample.

The reality of it is that crickets carry nasty parasites without even knowing it. It only takes 1 bad cricket to give your pet some nasty bug.

I think your taking the right steps in contacting the seller to make it right.

If it was me who sold a chameleon and I didn't know he had something I would wanna know to correct the problem.

If nothing happens in a few days I would use the forums as a tool to contact him in public and put him on the spot to correct the problem. Not bash on him because that is prohibited. Just ask if he can respond.

So now what? The vet gave us some stuff to give him but said if he starts acting funny take him off it and bring him in. This worries me, they said that they are treating for multiple parasites, So would getting a culture done to find out just what we are fighting be a healthier way to get rid of this and make sure my boy is 100% safe?

We had a stool sample done and that is how we found the parasites.

What kind of parasites does he have and what meds did the vet give you?

If nothing happens in a few days I would use the forums as a tool to contact him in public and put him on the spot to correct the problem. Not bash on him because that is prohibited. Just ask if he can respond.

Actually that is against the rules.

Rule #3 here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/index.php?page=rules

Chameleon Forums is not currently setup for reviews of commercial businesses or to publicly resolve related disputes. At this time we suggest inquiring about the business at the BOI (Board of Inquiry) located at the website linked below.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Thanks!

EDIT: As people have said, a lot of parasites can be picked up via feeders like the common cricket and those can be eradicated fairly easily with the proper medications. This is not a death sentence for your chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom