brasil heartleaf philodendron?

haleymht

I accidentally got a Brasil Heartleaf Philodendron instead of a pothos. Is this okay to put in my young male veiled’s cage?

Philodendrons earned the "toxic" label because the oxalate crystals in them can be (mechanically, not chemically) irritating to mammals and can cause calcium imbalances if ingested in large quantities. However, pothos are the exact same way, and they're a "veilied-tested" and widely used plant. I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless your chameleon really goes to town on it.

Not for a plant nibbler species like veiled.

Philodendron are no more toxic than pothos - as a matter of fact, pothos contain the same exact toxins as philodendron.

They are fine to use - I have them in 9 enclosures currently and one of my
Veileds eats them regularly. I much prefer philodendrons to pothos as I find them easier to care for and many philodendrons develop nice, thick stems that meander like vines.

Philodendrons earned the "toxic" label because the oxalate crystals in them can be (mechanically, not chemically) irritating to mammals and can cause calcium imbalances if ingested in large quantities. However, pothos are the exact same way, and they're a "veilied-tested" and widely used plant. I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless your chameleon really goes to town on it.
Awesome thank you! I have a bird’s nest fern that I can alternate it with to make sure that he doesn’t eat it too much, and I’ll check for bite marks. I’d leave the fern in there but it’s hanging right under the uvb

Philodendron are no more toxic than pothos - as a matter of fact, pothos contain the same exact toxins as philodendron.

They are fine to use - I have them in 9 enclosures currently and one of my
Veileds eats them regularly. I much prefer philodendrons to pothos as I find them easier to care for and many philodendrons develop nice, thick stems that meander like vines.
Great thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom