Branches of Different Trees

CJ's Exotics

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello! I was wondering, what are some of your favorite tree species to use for branches in a chameleon enclosure? I'm kind of curious on what other people think, and I would like to use some new species as well. Thank you!!!:):p:D:p:D:)

Work well and stand up to the constant misting. I have also used maple and other hard woods. Flchams site has a “safe plant” list that includes trees you can use for branches. Just avoid any thing with sticky or possibly toxic sap

One of my favorites is driftwood I collect from my beach. Most of it is pine, but there's no sap or bark left to it. I also have oak branches, but they seem to get moldy pretty fast.

Could I use pine, strip of the bark, and bake it and clean it?
I wouldn't bake it because of the sap. Soaking it would take care of any parasites, but I would be more concerned with the chameleon's exposure to the sap. The driftwood doesn't worry me because it's essentially been soaking in saltwater then baked by the sun. Also, it's sturdy but light-weight like that.

I heard about fumes as well. I know that pine can be toxic to chams, but I've never tried to bake pine, so that is why I asked.

To be honest, I used branches from an ornamental apple tree in Chandler's new cage. The branches I used have been dead for two years already. Although doing some research just now, I may have to remove them as there is conflicting information as to whether or not apple branches are safe. And actually upon more research, I used branches from a crabapple tree, which flows lists as safe, so I'm all good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom