Branches and vines.

I know this thread is a bit old now but I got a oak branch that is still kind of bendy and live? is this okay to put in his cage?

I gathered a bunch of sticks but I believe some may be cedar, but they are dried out, so what is the problem with sap there? Im just curious why you can use cedar?
It's not so much the sap, per se, but the Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) contained in sap as well as the rest of certain aromatic woods (virtually all of the softwoods/conifers).

http://www.anapsid.org/cedar.html

safe woods for reptile enclosures

I know this thread is a bit old now but I got a oak branch that is still kind of bendy and live? is this okay to put in his cage?
A week is a bit old? :eek:

Most/all woods contain VOCs; it's a matter of amount. Unfortunately, oak is one of the hardwoods that is higher in VOCs—especially when alive/green—not as much after drying.

does oak contain vocs?

IME, closed-grain hardwoods like birch, maple, cherry, nut woods (and others) make for better choices.

Do you have trees around you? You can use almost any branches as long as they are not sap producing like pine, cedar, and eucalyptus. But almost everything else is perfectly fine. As far as sanitizing all you really need to do is wash them down with dawn soap and hot water to remove fecal and insects. Then rinse extremely well and let them dry out.
What if you got some cedar roots that are totally dried and no sap? The tree has been dead for almost a year and the roots are not rotting and are preserved but there’s no sap

I personally would not use cedar at all. They still will emit the VOC but also have odor that could potentially cause issues for the Chams lungs.
Dang it there was some really cool pieces! I’ll have to keep looking for driftwood. At one part of the creek tons of it piles up so it’s a legit pile of great pieces of driftwood

Back
Top Bottom