Bradypodion transvaalense (Wolkberg Dwarf Chameleon)

Catherine - Not sure on the gestation period but in the wild they give birth in the late winter (which is our late summer). Since these came in from South Africa and the females seem gravid to me, I'm hoping I'll have a bunch of babies before too long.

Benny - I just get anxious.

Chris

Based on the post mortem on the female I lost, it looked like she was at 1.5-2 months and she was a big girl. That, of course, is just a guess based on how much the eggs were developed. Reading about other SA Badypodions, it looks like their gestation is around 5-6 months. I would expect to see some babies within 3-4 months maybe? I'm just guessing, but the other female, who is doing great by the way, looks chubby too but definitely doesn't look ready to drop for another few months.

We should have a contest to see who can guess the closest date the first babies will come out. :) Put my down for late November early Decemeber. ;)

Luis

The gestation period can differ a lot. Depening on how many baby's a species get. Which with Bradypodion can go from 1 to 3 in season. Gestation in Winter is always longer then in summer. So for these clutches 5 -6 months is logical and in summer 3-4 months is possible.

I'd like to make a guess when I see pictures of the females. I guess Chris is right with end of September but I'd think even more chance for October. But that would be with gestation in Winter, with you guys it's summer now so it could also go much faster.

Very beautiful animals Chris.

Oh and I forgot to add my excitement for how that male is turning out. Looking much more colorful than just a week ago.

Looking good,

Luis

Snapped this picture of my female that appears the most gravid of the two. I'm still betting mid to late September for her:

3872181128_d06fdb9fb6_o.jpg

Chris

Amazing Chris, thanks for sharing ! :)
The female and the other parts of your group look very healthy, I'm sure they will make it captivity

Back
Top Bottom