Boy was I wrong (Graphic video warning)

I did not watch the video but saw the title and switched it off real quick. I just don't like seeing mice, birds, lizards get eaten like that. I have a hard enough time with feeding worms and crickets! Anyways, yes, they will eat that type of prey but it is not recommended as they contain high protein which is not good for a chameleon's diet.

Gout and organ (kidney?) failure are common when lots of animal protein is consumed.

I watched due to my morbid curiosity. Cool, but not worth the grief later on.

I would never ever feed any of my chameleons a mouse, lizard, or whatever. I wouldnt even do it whrn a pet store owner suggested giving my beardie a mouse.

Like mentioned, it's not recommended in high quantity. I don't see anything wrong with it a couple times a YEAR. I don't get why people are ok with feeding insects and ending their lives, but they have problems with mice and lizards. But to each their own. I've just never understood it

I don't get why people are ok with feeding insects and ending their lives, but they have problems with mice and lizards. But to each their own. I've just never understood it

Probably because chameleons are insectivores. Insects also don't cause organ failure and gout. This all goes back to the amount of protein.

Severe moderation is key.

I don't get why people are ok with feeding insects and ending their lives, but they have problems with mice and lizards. But to each their own. I've just never understood it

Because we relate to other vertebrates, especially mammals. We are extremely far removed from insects. Insects, in all their exoskeletony, multi-eyed and -legged glory are foreign and unrelatable. As an ecologist I see the value of insects and their place in the world, but I don't give two cents about the crickets or roaches I feed off. When 5 adult crickets manage to drown themselves in half a coke cap of water, despite all the other climbable bodies, you realize why they've never made it beyond their lowly place in the feeding chain!

Because we relate to other vertebrates, especially mammals. We are extremely far removed from insects. Insects, in all their exoskeletony, multi-eyed and -legged glory are foreign and unrelatable. As an ecologist I see the value of insects and their place in the world, but I don't give two cents about the crickets or roaches I feed off. When 5 adult crickets manage to drown themselves in half a coke cap of water, despite all the other climbable bodies, you realize why they've never made it beyond their lowly place in the feeding chain!

I see your point. Never thought of it that way. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom