Bottled Water vs Treated Tap?

Boston Pitty

Established Member
Didn't know if I should post this here or in another area, it's not really health related or cage related. When you fill your drippers/sprayer/misters ex. do you use treated tap water or bottled water? Or just tap?
I'm currently using bottled drinking water for everything including the cool mist. I might just be paranoid, but when I used tap water for my fish tanks even with the conditners and other treatments to make it fish safe I always had issues. Switched to bottled water and never lost a fish after that or had any issues even when starting a new tank.

I'm just woundering if anyone else uses bottled water for chameleons or are they a little more hardy when it comes to water than fish? When I got my Dripper it came with a water treatment sample. But like I said the water treatments for my fish tanks never really worked.

Some of the things I've seen online say if it's safe to drink it's safe for chameleons, but I don't see how florid could be safe for them

I didn't even think about distilled. that might be better for the humidfyer. They don't need the trace minerals? I know distilled will kill fish. I guess as long as it's still in the drinking water it should still be fine

Distilled is harmful to aquatic inverts and some fish due to the trace amounts of copper from the distilling process. This trace amount will not harm the chameleons at all. I use distilled now since I have started keeping carnivorous plants that require distilled or rain water. Tap water can kill the plants so i figured I would just buy the extra couple jugs of distilled and save me the hassle of cleaning my mister nozzles every few months lol

Never knew carnivor plants couldn't use tap. Never owned them, learn something new everyday. I have extra jugs of drinking but gunna buy a few of distilled when I do my weekly water run. People at walmart probably think I'm crazy. I buy like 5-8 jugs each week just for the fish tank alone. Gotta up that to 10 drinking and about 6 distilled. my humidifyer takes about a jug alone each day.

Good info! Never even thought about distilled! I have well water that we filter (carbon) and supplement with reptisafe (I think is what it's called). Y'all think that's okay?

Definitely distilled all the way. I see you're a boston person, and I'd recommend getting your distilled over at Stop and Shop, as it's usually cheapest there.

My dogs is a boston terrier x pitt bull mix so thats where the name comes from lol. No stop and shops here in ohio

Whole foods and other places have water refills. I bought an RO system for $100 bucks that I use now. Pretty much anywhere sells gallon jugs of distilled as well.

Good info! Never even thought about distilled! I have well water that we filter (carbon) and supplement with reptisafe (I think is what it's called). Y'all think that's okay?
A carbon filter won't reduce the mineral content of the well water. If your unfiltered well water is hard, the minerals will eventually clog your misting system nozzles and/or foggers. Best to use RO or distilled water for them anyway.

I’ve only ever used distilled water for my mister. It keeps it from ever clogging and it won’t leave any water marks on the sides of a glass terrarium. Plus, I always thought that the chameleon drinking off the leaves adds trace minerals from any dirt/dust or vitamin/calcium powder that may have landed on them.

After reading this I looked up distilled water and found that they sell water distillers for your house. It may be kinda expensive at first but will save you time and $ on jugs of water. Or a reverse osmosis system works as well. I will be getting a reverse osmosis once I get paid.

RO water is fine. Should be less expensive to install than a distiller I would think. I have installed RO filters on the kitchen sinks in all my houses. The chams are not the only ones who get to "use" it! :D

If you have multiple cages especially with montane species R/O systems will pay for themselves over time (a couple years). If you only have one cham and you don't use it for yourself then the break even will take a decade.

Back
Top Bottom