Blue bottle flies

My veiled chameleon loves any kind of fly. Fruit fly, house fly, anything that flies or looks like a fly.

Female won't eat any fruit flies and will only occationally eat a moth or two when I find them.

gag a maggot...

Be sure you feed cultured flies, not wild caught. Wild flies feed on dangerous stuff.

I think they are wonderful! All of my chameleons love them!

They really stimulate the chameleon which can be helpful during these groggy months!

How long should it take till they turn to flies Gucci is wanting to eat the cookie dough before there baked. She seen the larvas and went in attac mode lol

I got 3 in a shot class with press and seal on top in their trees. I had to tape the glasses so they can't see in due to excitment!! I cut a 1/4'' slit in the top so they can fly out when ready am i doing it right

I love the BB flies!!! They are actually part of my staple feeder insects that I buy. ALong with crix and roaches. Right now most of my guys only want the flies. I am gutloading them with the powdered honey and bee pollen mix and then I dust with spirulina powder.

The maggots are fine to feed if that is what your cham was looking at:D You can speed up the process of hatching by putting them in a warmer place or incubator. After they start hatching I put all in the fridge to let them slow down. After they slow down I dump however many in a dixie cup with the spirulina in it and calcium if I need to supp with that. I then put another cup inside the one with the flies. I get the cups that sort of have a lip near the bottom so the one cup does not squash the flies. This will hold them in the cup if they start warming up. I then put that in the fridge to cool them back down. Once they are cool enough I take the one cup out, dump however many flies the cham is going to eat into a third cup, put the other 2 cup mechanism:rolleyes: back into the fridge and take the cup with the few flies and dump them in a cage. I repeat this 12 times at the moment:eek: It works well and I do not have flies all over the house. Just a few:D

Hope that wasnt too confusing!

I love the BB flies!!! They are actually part of my staple feeder insects that I buy. ALong with crix and roaches. Right now most of my guys only want the flies. I am gutloading them with the powdered honey and bee pollen mix and then I dust with spirulina powder.

The maggots are fine to feed if that is what your cham was looking at:D You can speed up the process of hatching by putting them in a warmer place or incubator. After they start hatching I put all in the fridge to let them slow down. After they slow down I dump however many in a dixie cup with the spirulina in it and calcium if I need to supp with that. I then put another cup inside the one with the flies. I get the cups that sort of have a lip near the bottom so the one cup does not squash the flies. This will hold them in the cup if they start warming up. I then put that in the fridge to cool them back down. Once they are cool enough I take the one cup out, dump however many flies the cham is going to eat into a third cup, put the other 2 cup mechanism:rolleyes: back into the fridge and take the cup with the few flies and dump them in a cage. I repeat this 12 times at the moment:eek: It works well and I do not have flies all over the house. Just a few:D

Just gotta say, Your Awsome lol I totally got it :D

DJ:

I hatch mine similar to Cain and I also gutload them like I do crickets and roaches. They are a staple in my house too, so its important they carry all the nutrition they can;)

Sounds easy enough

My Chameleon Loves them.

Julie (Chams1) Thank You! for the Flies. I will be picking up some more next time.

Its like Crack for my Cham.

Curious question, do you plan on feeding them in a cage or are you just going to let the flies loose in your house?

I dont cage but to answer the ? flies are atracted to food and light got there food and got their light they should stay in the area of the tree if not no diffrent than a house fly hit it with a news paper

My fischeri, jax, and verrucosus absolutely loved bb flies so I bought larvae or pupae and hatched them. They were the first they went for each day. Good for tongue exercise, mental fun, stalking practice. Some chams might not eat enough to warrant breeding them.

Speaking of funny stories...One batch of 500 flies I ordered was delayed in the mail. By the time I got the box all the pupae had hatched and the box was vibrating and buzzing. The post office clerk held the box at arm's length giving me worried looks. I halfway expected the box to be seized beause it might have a bomb inside. Oh, then there was the UPS man who asked me what was in the "live" box from the biological supply house. Without thinking I said Roaches. He dropped it as if it was red hot, backed away, gave me a horrified look, and almost sprinted to the truck.

bbf vs hfs

I dont cage but to answer the ? flies are atracted to food and light got there food and got their light they should stay in the area of the tree if not no diffrent than a house fly hit it with a news paper
i use both cultured hfs a cultured bbfs (but i prefer bbfs) , my cages are right by window, you may have noticed in my avatar that my cages are not fine screen, so flies often escape, the one thing i have noticed is that the hfs usually head for the center of the apt. and the bbfs almost always go straight to the window or window screens. one trick i have learned is i take a plastic jar (like a pb or mayo jar) and drill a 1/4 -5/16" hole in the lid (depending on whether its hfs or bbfs) i put 50-100 flies (and or pupae) in the jar and insert a bamboo skewer into the jar through the hole, the flies will walk up the skewer one or two at a time and get picked off , when i want to stop feeding, i just pull the bamboo skewer and cover the hole with blue tape and then move them to the next cage, or put them back in the fridge till next time. you can also adjust your rate of release by taping or changing hole size or changing the # of flies in the jar , its the xantho way

Back
Top Bottom