Bloody stool, puffy eyes...please help -info and pics

peacefrog812

Hello, my name is Laura.

1zzjjo4.jpg

2mwdlqf.jpg

that is Camille while she is ill, she even looks sad :(

jphafm.jpg

Healthy Mille :)

Camille is a female blue barred ambilobe. She is 9 months old and we have had her for a week now.

We handle her about once to twice a day. the handling is short, we take her outside and let her climb on her favorite tree, plum tree. she came from a home with high traffic and 3 kids, so our home for her now is a lot more relaxing for her.

Feeding - crickets usually 4 a day, dusted twice a week with calcium and d3. and an occasional superworms.

Supplements - we gut load the crickets with flukers cricket clencher and Jurassic clench. Until today, i forgot we had to put other food in there for the crickets, we will do this from now on. to treat her water, we use repti-safe.

Watering - we spray her often, probably 10 times a day for about a minute each time because it is hot in that room. we see her drink sometimes, not as often anymore.

Fecal Description - Her poop has been normal up until yesterday. Normal brown poop with white urate, yesterday however her poo turned a little more watery and her urate was orange. we gave her a bath for 30 minutes, didn't see her drink. her next dropping the next day was sad, it was obvious a cricket wasn't all the way digested and some blood in there. we called the vet and he said the blood could be from a scratch if the poop wasn't soft enough. this makes sense because no poop before has been bloody. however he said parasites can come out of nowhere one day be and be fine and the next day could be infested, she has never had her fecal examined.

History - we purchased her from someone who bought her from a breeder. we have spoken to the breeder himself. she was well taken care of, and we even spray her more often then her past owners did.

she has been gravid once before.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - the cage is all screened, i do not know the size of it however, it is big enough for her. the bottom we have news paper so we can clean it daily, which we do.

Lighting - we aren't sure the exact brand and details of it because it was sold to us as a set with the cage, it is however a 5.0 heat and uvb light. she has a 12/12 schedule

Temperature - well we just put a fan in there so this could be altering the temp it is around 80 in basking area. we actually just raised her lamp because it was feeling too hot in her cage and she would stay more towards the bottom, never opened her mouth like she was hot until today. so until about an hour ago, her cage was most likely around 90
the lower part of the cage is around 75-80, its still lowering since i raised the light and added the fan.

Humidity - humidity level unknown, feels humid though. we mist her so often to keep it humid and the room stays warm by itself quiet easily, it is upstairs.

Plants - both fake and live plant, we did have part of plum tree in there but we just took it out today and replaced it with umbrella plant.

Placement - She is in a room by herself upstairs in very low traffic area. She is not in front of vents, but she is in front of a window that we keep partially opened during the day so she can get some natural light, but we do not open it all the way because i have read where it will warm her up too much. she is on a table.

Location - Southern Indiana

Current Problem - within the last 10 hours, her health has what seems to be rapidly decreasing. Came home to her very dark and her stripes showing that she was upset. i found bloody dropping of solid poop that looked like the cricket wasn't all the way digested, 2 of these droppings were not digested fully, only one was bloody. Actually there was no blood ON her feces, it was around like little droplets had dropped from her butt. i checked her rectum and nothing was coming out, looked normal. Her eyes seem puffy and she is keeping them closed for the most part. She will leave her mouth gaping from time to time.
What im worried about the most is the blood AROUND the poop, keep in mind it wasnt all over her poop. The eye puffy-ness and keeping them closed is worrying me too, she isn't as active. she ate 4 crickets today.

Is it possible she is gravid? We are going to place a bucket of dirt in there for her, please any advice to what we could be doing wrong or what else can be done? [/FONT]

The vet said it sounded like we were taking good care of her, im just worried.[/SIZE]

Hopefully some more experienced members will chime in but chams can skip days eating, I know my 9 month old ambilobe does every now and then,

Camille passed away about an hour ago. We went to the store to get some organic soil for her to (maybe) lay any eggs if she were gravid, because we were thinking she could have been. she had pooped when she died and there was a lot of blood around her but no blood in the feces and it really just looked like it came from her mouth. it was a sad sight. anyways, came back and she was dead. her belly felt a little lumpy...

we bagged the poo up, going to see if we can still get it examined to see if there was something wrong.

Sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful chameleon. If you decide to get another, there are some changes that will need to be made to your care. Supplements- Plain calcium with no d3 at every feeding, calcium with d3 twice a month, multivitamin twice a month. Feed your feeders a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. Misting, about 3 times a day for 3-5 minutes each. 10 times is a bit much. You want the cage to dry out at some point. Your UVB light, you need to get a Reptisun 5.0 tube model. Use a regular housebulb for basking about a 40-60 watt. Depending on the age and species of your chameleon the desired temps you want will vary. No lights on at night. Cage temps desired to be in the low to mid 70's during the day. You need something to measure your humidity with, not just your temps. You said you gave her a bath? You don't give chameleons baths. Not sure what your reasoning was for this. She is not going to drink from a bath if that was your purpose. I don't think any of your set up caused her death, it sounds like a parasite with the bloody stool and that is something she probably came with. I guess you will not know about that until you have the fecal tested. If you get another female that is past the age of 6 months you are going to want to have the proper laying bin set up for her in advance. We can tell you what to do if that is the case. Anyways, sorry you had to start chameleon ownership on such a sad note. We can help you if you decide to get another and get you on the right track to owning a happy and healthy chameleon. Again, sorry for your loss.:(

SO sorry for your loss! :(
I lost a veiled (my first) a long time ago due to poor researching and I did not take care of him the way I should have. However if you do follow what Carol said, your next cham should be in good shape and happy :) Let us know if/when you are going to get another cham. :)

OH MAN im SOOO sorry for your loss very sad :( please dont let this discourage you to chameleons some go its life and shes in the big tree in the sky mine passed whikle she was still a little girla nd it was sad but we tried again its all you can do shes in a better place now

When i said bath i meant we put her in the shower like we had read. i did everything the forums said about the shower, indirect water hitting the leaves so she could get a drink...and as far as her cage conditions, they were were good, apart from not having a humidity detector, her cage would get so hot and it would dry out so quickly, thats why we watered her too much.

we are really saddened by this, we miss her so much already. she has became a part of our daily routine.

I want to get another one, but it makes me feel like maybe she did die because of something we did wrong. I don't know, thank you everyone for your replies we really do appreciate them.

is it possible she was gravid and had nothing to lay in so she passed away?
her sickness literally took over within 10 hours, she was healthy the morning of :*(

Sorry for your loss. Are you sure it was a bloody stool? From the picture its looks like when my female veiled threw up. The vet told us it could of been a cricket that was to big for her or she could of caught 2 at once and not been able to digest it properly. But there was no blood and it was a one time thing for us, thank god. Again sorry for your loss.

Im no expert, but it looks like she had eggs to me. Too bad you didn't get her sooner so you wouldve had more time to react, or if the person you got her from wouldve known she was gravid. Sorry for your loss.

I'm very sorry for your loss. She was such a lovely little lady. You could have the vet do a necropsy to find out what happen to her.

Im no expert, but it looks like she had eggs to me. Too bad you didn't get her sooner so you wouldve had more time to react, or if the person you got her from wouldve known she was gravid. Sorry for your loss.

thank you, in fact the owner before her said he thought she may be gravid but gave us signs to look for, but i guess we didn't understand them enough to catch this in time. the sad part is, i literally got back from the store with soil for her to try to lay her clutches and she was passed already.

Sorry for your loss. Are you sure it was a bloody stool? From the picture its looks like when my female veiled threw up. The vet told us it could of been a cricket that was to big for her or she could of caught 2 at once and not been able to digest it properly. But there was no blood and it was a one time thing for us, thank god. Again sorry for your loss.

you know, this morning that was my boyfriends first thought is that it could hav been her throwing it up becuase the last stool she passed (while she died she had pooped herself :() and it wasn't bloody, it was regular poop...maybe a little watery

we've boiled it down to these possibilities
:gravid and stressed
:stress may have made the parasites react

That could very well have been what happened. If they dont have dirt or sand they will NOT dig and they Will never get the eggs out. I think ONLY Jackson's give live birth so she may have been gravid.So Sorry Love!!From all your post i dont believe it was anything you did!!

Back
Top Bottom