Bloody nose!!!!! HELP!

K. Host

My oldest girl (Juniper) is six years old. Yesterday, when i went to turn on her lights, I noticed her nose was bleeding badly. I got her to the vet immediately and they cleaned her up and said she would be fine. However, she got another one this morning. I am actually getting them too, so i know exactly what she's feeling. I took her into the shower this morning and it got some of the crusted blood off, but didn't help much. I noticed that shes rubbing at it and looks miserable. I don't know what to do! HELP!

Is it an external injury like a cut or a rub? Or is it coming from inside her nose? If it's an external injury, you could put a bit of neosporin on it (the kind without the painkiller or anti-itch). If it's internal, I have no recommendations except to increase humidity and hope it seals up on its own. Poor little girl.

I think it is internal. I have encreased humidity, fed her, taken her to the shower, and put on some neosporin, but it did no good. She is eating, drinking and pooping fine. I don't know what do do.

I wonder if it could be an atypical symptom of an upper respiratory infection? Did the vet look for those symptoms when you took her in? Nosebleed in a reptile is strange... Could by any chance something have gotten in there like sand or dirt from her laybin? Keep an eye on her feces and appetite. If there is a change there, it's a sign that something bigger is at play.

You should PM one of the vets here on the forum. Ferretinmyshoes might have some better ideas.

The only time I've ever seen something like this was with what turned out to be a tumour in the nasal cavity, and it took forever to diagnose because it was just so bizarre. I'm absolutely not saying that's what this is, by the way! I have no clue. But if there is another vet you can consult with, that might be a good idea. You could also ask your vet to post something on VIN (Vet Information Network) to see if they have any colleagues who've seen similar issues.

I'm so sorry that this is happening to your girl :) Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom