Bloated stomach veiled male chameleon

I just want to add that anytime that would spray water into a hissing chams mouth would have to be an idiot! Hence the reason I told the OP only to do my method of the chameleon was comfortable with it. Maybe read my original posts in full before jumping on the bully bandwagon 🙂
Oh and one more fun fact for you! In the wild veiled chameleons only live an average of one year, so attempting to keep the in would like conditions is actually a very bad idea. It’s just like saying that we should slow our dogs to hunt for their food and sleep in the dirt because that’s what they do in the wild. The whole reason owning a chameleon is a good thing is because we are able to enrich, and prolong their lives.

You guys act just like the people on the Facebook group the chameleon enthusiast, giving the same outdated, inaccurate info. 👎✌️

Hello guys I just wanted to update because milo isn’t eating today, yesterday he ate but it wasn’t as much as he usually does. He is still loosing some shed on his back legs but other than that it’s gone. I tried offering him water and I haven’t seen him drink. I have been spraying less and filling the humidifier less so humidity is now at 62. He is still acting strange in the sense that he wants to be on the move exploring out of his cage. He usually is on the door when I put him back and he gets mad if I want him to go back in the cage.. I called a vet and she said it didn’t seem like it was an emergency but to keep in touch and that he is definitely going through chameleon puberty! He has been getting very angry at me recently for being in his cage (puffing up his throat). I’m just worried about him not eating especially since I have to leave for work soon. He has some offered to him at all times in his cage..

Oh and one more fun fact for you! In the wild veiled chameleons only live an average of one year, so attempting to keep the in would like conditions is actually a very bad idea. It’s just like saying that we should slow our dogs to hunt for their food and sleep in the dirt because that’s what they do in the wild. The whole reason owning a chameleon is a good thing is because we are able to enrich, and prolong their lives.

Attachments

• 698BBEBF-C9DB-4DE4-90BA-FF412E70D2C5.jpeg
    698BBEBF-C9DB-4DE4-90BA-FF412E70D2C5.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 7FE4C583-7F11-4186-A849-E1607093D1AE.jpeg
    7FE4C583-7F11-4186-A849-E1607093D1AE.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 229FF655-5343-48B9-B6C2-92E5F8227601.jpeg
    229FF655-5343-48B9-B6C2-92E5F8227601.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 84
@Valerie crouch said..."I thought this site might actually have some experienced keepers that don’t just sit and repeat everything they read online likes parrot" ...I'm neither a parrot nor do I just repeat everything I've read on line.

You said..."Apparently I was wrong about that and apparently you are all too busy jumping down my throat to read what I actually wrote"...I read what you wrote and although it might be safe for you to water a chameleon that way, because you have had experience doing it, it can cause problems for people who don't have experience with chameleons. It's better to err on the side of caution than not IMHO.

When I give husbandry advice I try to make I as simple and free of possible failures as I can for those who don't have any/much experience with chameleons (or for younger members who won't always understand more complicated information).....so that they have a good chance of the chameleon living a long healthy life...and giving their keepers time to figure out more complicated husbandry. There may be times when I seem like I'm being short with people, but I have to say the same thing over and over almost daily...and some times I run out of patience, as do others here. There are lots of chameleon problems going on here everyday that need to be dealt with.

It often doesn't matter how clearly you explain things, they can still be misunderstood or done wrong and the chameleon pays for it. It's often hard to explain things clearly sometimes.

I've kept chameleons and many many other reptiles for over 30 years. I've worked with exotics vets, zoo vets, zoo keepers, been a part of several papers and studies that were done....and I'm still learning. I doubt I'll ever stop learning.

I definitely wish that there had been a chameleon forum with good information like this one when I first started keeping chameleons. Because there was almost no information on them then, I made mistakes trying to figure things out....and also made a lot of good choices, hitting good options mostly by luck. I read a lot and studied climate, etc in places where the critters came from to try to figure things out. I read every study and book I could read and talked to a lot of people who studied them in the wild too.

I definitely don't think we can or should keep the chameleons the way they live in the wild. Their lives are not always easy or long there. However, there's still a lot to learn about what works best for them in captivity.

Its good to see that you are passionate about chameleons and have put effort into learning about them as well.

Hello guys I just wanted to update because milo isn’t eating today, yesterday he ate but it wasn’t as much as he usually does. He is still loosing some shed on his back legs but other than that it’s gone. I tried offering him water and I haven’t seen him drink. I have been spraying less and filling the humidifier less so humidity is now at 62. He is still acting strange in the sense that he wants to be on the move exploring out of his cage. He usually is on the door when I put him back and he gets mad if I want him to go back in the cage.. I called a vet and she said it didn’t seem like it was an emergency but to keep in touch and that he is definitely going through chameleon puberty! He has been getting very angry at me recently for being in his cage (puffing up his throat). I’m just worried about him not eating especially since I have to leave for work soon. He has some offered to him at all times in his cage..

Is it a chameleon vet you talked to?

Has he had the saggy belly at all since the photos you posted of him with it?

It's good that he's been eating some. He doesn't have to eat every day...in fact at that age we usually feed them only 2 or 3 times sweet.

@Valerie crouch I believe @kinyonga has already said what I was going to reply.
We see so very many new chameleon keepers here who are often overwhelmed in just getting their basic husbandry on track. A good number of them are children and sadly, too many lack adult/parental support with their chameleons. Sticking with giving them the tried and true information is much safer for them and their chameleons. Some have come here seeking help for an issue that was wholly avoidable and when they are told what may have caused the problem for their chameleon, will say that they were told doing whatever it is was ok. Yes, we ‘parrot’ information as we stick to the well proven basics of proper husbandry when advising, especially for new keepers.
Obviously you feel as though you’ve been attacked...I’m sorry you feel that way as attacking was and is not my intention.

@Valerie crouch said..."I thought this site might actually have some experienced keepers that don’t just sit and repeat everything they read online likes parrot" ...I'm neither a parrot nor do I just repeat everything I've read on line.

You said..."Apparently I was wrong about that and apparently you are all too busy jumping down my throat to read what I actually wrote"...I read what you wrote and although it might be safe for you to water a chameleon that way, because you have had experience doing it, it can cause problems for people who don't have experience with chameleons. It's better to err on the side of caution than not IMHO.

When I give husbandry advice I try to make I as simple and free of possible failures as I can for those who don't have any/much experience with chameleons (or for younger members who won't always understand more complicated information).....so that they have a good chance of the chameleon living a long healthy life...and giving their keepers time to figure out more complicated husbandry. There may be times when I seem like I'm being short with people, but I have to say the same thing over and over almost daily...and some times I run out of patience, as do others here. There are lots of chameleon problems going on here everyday that need to be dealt with.

It often doesn't matter how clearly you explain things, they can still be misunderstood or done wrong and the chameleon pays for it. It's often hard to explain things clearly sometimes.

I've kept chameleons and many many other reptiles for over 30 years. I've worked with exotics vets, zoo vets, zoo keepers, been a part of several papers and studies that were done....and I'm still learning. I doubt I'll ever stop learning.

I definitely wish that there had been a chameleon forum with good information like this one when I first started keeping chameleons. Because there was almost no information on them then, I made mistakes trying to figure things out....and also made a lot of good choices, hitting good options mostly by luck. I read a lot and studied climate, etc in places where the critters came from to try to figure things out. I read every study and book I could read and talked to a lot of people who studied them in the wild too.

I definitely don't think we can or should keep the chameleons the way they live in the wild. Their lives are not always easy or long there. However, there's still a lot to learn about what works best for them in captivity.

Its good to see that you are passionate about chameleons and have put effort into learning about them as well.
That’s really awesome all the experience you have. I do understand losing patience with having to constantly explain the same things to people who are just now learning. Being a moderator on another chameleons forum with others that have so much experience like you, our founder gets that way at times, and I run behind him to comfort new members that feel attacked at times, and explain that he means well, but gets burned out. For me, I’m still in my 3rd year now, so I still have lots of patience. I guess just because I lost my first chameleon due to not being good advice, and not knowing my chameleon was wild caught. My reptile vet that even all the shops use couldn’t help my poor Cham, she did try but she has never seen anything like what was happening, and tried sending video to others in her field, but nobody knew what it was or what to do, so despite best efforts she passed away 😔 I was heart broken and angry. So I did what I do well, and five head first into educating myself through all the best sources available. I do want you to know that I would have not given the info to the OP if I didn’t feel it was urgent, and that she could understand well enough to do it safely. I appreciate you taking time to talk with me in a kind manner and with good intentions.

Back
Top Bottom