Blind Baby? Need help!

Draven

My baby vieled is having some trouble seeing, for the past week 1/2 he has had puffy eyes and does not respond to me whne I put my hand in front of him, he usually starts hissing at me and being pissy but hes completely non-responsive.. any help? What should I do? Whats wrong?

Hi Draven,
First off so we here on the forum can help you better give us some specifics. Your cage, lighting, and just the general everyday care you give to him. Once we see this we can give you an educated guess and not just a guess. To me it almost sounds like a vitamine A defiancy. Vitamine A is the one thing that feeds or supplements the eye muscles. Lets see what you give us so we can better help.
Thanks

Well hes in a cage bigger then he should be in but he loves it, he has his UV and basking lighting.. the bulbs are only about 2 months old so its good, he gets crickets, mealworms, and wax worms with the occasional silkworms..

Everything sounds ok except for the oversized cage. Baby chameleons will stress out if there enclosure is to big. Not saying that this is the case and its definatly probrably not the reason hes keeping his eyes closed. So all I can say is definatly get your little guy to the vet.

More questions for Draven

Hi Draven,
Where and what age did you purchase your little guy? How long ago did you notice the puffy eye? Did he seem in excellent health when you got him?

Christine

My baby vieled is having some trouble seeing, for the past week 1/2 he has had puffy eyes and does not respond to me whne I put my hand in front of him, he usually starts hissing at me and being pissy but hes completely non-responsive.. any help? What should I do? Whats wrong?

Are you positive he's eating and drinking? A drip system isn't enough for a baby. They need to be misted with water a few times a day. Also, you need to have enough prey items in their cage so that they will walk by the baby very often during meal times. You can ensure this by going to smaller cage.

Other than that, there could be a genuine eye defect, but 99 times out of 100, its a husbandry problem.

Hes was probly one of the top 5 when I bought him out of about 30-40...
He was eating very very well until about 2 weeks when I realized he was slowing down a bit..

Important * Must Read*

Are you using a compact flourescent UVB light.

Dave Weldon pointed this article out on another forum..THIS IS A MUST READ for anyone on this forum.

This info confirms suspicions ,that a very respected breeder, described to me in conversations I had with her several months ago. She described blindness in baby Panthers using these newer compact flourescent lights. She also mentioned that she did communicate her experiences with the manufacturer.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

Blind Baby?

It really is time to get your baby to the vet. I don't think you are going to get it healthy again until you do so. It's going to need some outside help no matter what the original issue was at this point. Please get it to the vet immediately. I don't mean to sound like I am lecturing you, but the choice to get a reptile is an important one. A choice with responsibilities. This little baby is totally dependant on you. It can't do anything to help itself out or tell you what is wrong with it. Please keep us updated and continue to give us information on the situation. My thoughts are with you and your little one.

Back
Top Bottom