Bleeding from vent during breeding

jajeanpierre

Chameleon Enthusiast
Has anyone had a male bleeding from the vent during breeding? I was just checking on a pair of quads that were breeding and saw a fair amount of frank blood around their vents. I believe it was the male that was bleeding but I couldn't really tell from where.

Nothing is really unusual with him. He's a wild caught from the February import. He's eating well. He was first bred to this female December 14th and was bred every day until a couple of days ago. I put her back in today to try to get another breeding, expecting her to be past or soon to be past the receptive period. His desire to breed has been declining for the past few days, but he always breeds her within 10 or 15 minutes. I would expect a decline as he has been breeding her almost every day for almost two weeks. The gracilior pair have bred on the same days; and the gracilior male's desire to breed has been dropping as well, so I don't think that is anything of significance.

I tried to get pictures. The first picture was just as they finished breeding. The second suggests a cut to the vent based on the dried blood, but that was just a clot of blood. I tried to open the vent a little, but was worried about hurting him.

I've had two other incidences with frank blood with two other wild caughts. The female he was breeding today had a severe parasite infection that caused bloody/mucusy diarrhea that was treated with Flagy. (Can't remember what the vet said the parasite was--these wild caughts have had so many different kinds I've lost track.....) The other time was a large splash of frank blood at the bottom of the gravid gracilior female's cage right underneath where she was at t he time. The vet had no explanation. I might have treated her with Flagyl just to be safe. I'm sure I did a fecal. She laid a clutch uneventfully after the mystery splash of blood. I do not leave pairs together. I remove them as soon as breeding is finished to reduce the risk of parasite transmission.

Thoughts?
20151226_154244.jpg

20151226_154339.jpg

20151226_161956.jpg

20151226_162016.jpg

I have heard of this happening a few times with chameleons and once with leopard geckoes. In those cases there was never any reason found. There were no reported deaths from it either. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I have heard of this happening a few times with chameleons and once with leopard geckoes. In those cases there was never any reason found. There were no reported deaths from it either. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Do you know how they were handled after the bleeding incident? Did the people try to breed them shortly after? (I have another female I want to breed to him but she is not receptive at the moment but I expect her to be any day soon.) Did the bleeding males that you've heard of go on to produce live babies?

Back
Top Bottom