Black mark on lower lip

mightymisha9

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male veiled chameleon, approx 8 months old, been in my care almost 2 weeks
  • Handling - Handle daily; he loves to come out and is very sociable.
  • Feeding - 2 hornworms daily for the past 4 days, before that approx 5 med/lg dubias daily
  • Supplements - Rep-Cal calcium every third day. I have calcium with D3, but haven't given him any yet; was planning to dust with that and the rep-cal multivitamin 2x/month starting this weekend
  • Watering - I have a dripper I set up that drips about 3x/min. I mist about 3x/day for about a minute (I have a hygrometer at the top and bottom of the enclosure and the bottom is staying at about 99%humidity, so I try not to overdo it. I've never seen Hobbes drinking, aside from the day we brought him home
  • Fecal Description - Color is dark, fecal is well-formed and he poops easily (and apparently isn't shy about it). Urates are white and VERY loose, separate from fecal.
  • History - None, he's new to me and the breeder didn't share much with me.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Cage is built from a china hutch; glass doors, but screened sides and top. Approx 48" tall, 31" wide, 20" deep.
  • Lighting - Zilla slimline tropical 25 UVB, 72 watt basking bulb, and 60 watt grow light for the plants. Lights on a 12-hour on, 12-hour off timer based on when he typically likes to go to sleep (7pm)
  • Temperature - Cage floor is typically about 70* and under the basking light is about 85* at its warmest (I have an infrared thermometer I use to measure, as well as thermometer/hygrometers at the top and bottom of the cage) Lowest overnight temp is 68*
  • Humidity - Humidity at the top ranges from about 42% to 52% and from about 75% to 99% at the bottom. Maintaining humidity through live plants and moss, mistings, and dripper
  • Plants - I have a pothos vine, two different ferns, umbrella plant, flowering jasmine vine, prayer plant, and hibiscus. Planted frog moss in the tops of the pots to cover loose soil. Plants are all doing very well.
  • Placement - Cage is in a corner of our dining room, away from fans, vents. Next to a large window that doesn't open. Top of the cage is about 5' from the floor.
  • Location - Everett, WA

Current Problem - Hobbes has been developing black markings on his chin and nose. The markings show up most strikingly when he's sleeping and the rest of him is bright green. I wasn't overly concerned until I noticed that his lower lip almost looks like it's protruding a bit (as of yesterday). I got some good pictures. The inside of his mouth looks quite healthy to me, and he is eating, pooping, moving just great. He's a very active guy and likes to come out of his cage a lot and ride around on me and go exploring. I wondered if he's rubbing on the vinyl screening, but he doesn't spend much time on/around the screens; moreso sitting in the prayer plant (his favorite basking spot) or cruising on his vines and branches. Let me know if I should be concerned about his markings.
20180525_094634.jpg

20180525_094646.jpg
20180525_094652.jpg
20180525_094634.jpg
20180525_094646.jpg
20180525_094652.jpg
20180525_094634.jpg
20180525_094634.jpg
20180525_094634.jpg

it almost looks like an old sore. any chance he rubbed it raw and you didn't notice until it started to heal.

it almost looks like an old sore. any chance he rubbed it raw and you didn't notice until it started to heal.
It's totally possible. He may have rubbed it on the metal screen of his box during the ride home from the expo where I got him and this is just part of the healing process and what it looks like almost 2 weeks later. I just want to be overly cautious!

In the picture where he's looking straight at the camera, you can see a brown mark just outside the black part. The brown mark appeared first, right after I brought him home, then the black mark showed up after.

Thank you so much. I have exactly the same problem, the vet didnt want to see the animal because it would be overacting she said and too much stress, I treat the spot with local desinfectants but you helped me a lot, thanks!

Thank you so much. I have exactly the same problem, the vet didnt want to see the animal because it would be overacting she said and too much stress, I treat the spot with local desinfectants but you helped me a lot, thanks!
I'm so happy to have been of help!! I hope your little buddy gets all better soon!

Back
Top Bottom