Black crickets.

So I had success in breeding these evil little things. The pinheads are black.

I had six females layed eggs inside a cup, filled with vermeculite last week, so it is incubating time! Those thing bite really hard...

So...this is nasty ass, evil, cannibalistic cricket breeding we're talking about? Are you all so subjugated to your chameleons that you will willingly endure the attentions of these evil insects?

I guess it really is love.

So...this is nasty ass, evil, cannibalistic cricket breeding we're talking about? Are you all so subjugated to your chameleons that you will willingly endure the attentions of these evil insects?

Just trying to see how far I'll get into the "breeding" project...

Bahahahaha! You're saying it like it's a sin. lol. Well they don't smell as bad as normal crickets and they're meatyer than norms. You just have to becareful these evil beady eyed devils don't get their fangs near you.

How long was the incubation period for yours and at what temp? Mine are taking quite a bit longer to hatch than normal crickets, which I expected.

How long was the incubation period for yours and at what temp? Mine are taking quite a bit longer to hatch than normal crickets, which I expected.

I think like two weeks or so. I just placed a zoomed heat pad under a 20 gallon aquarium and misted the ecoearth everyday. Not sure of the temp though. I've only had them since the Pomona show. 80 is a good temp I read.

i have never been bitten...they seem a bit "evil" or menacing but they are awsome.

they dont smell, no dead ones.

they freakin eat like crazy ate all the cricket crack and veggies/fruits i put.

they are fat and juicy. hardly jump

the only down side is that they dont immedialty clim on the screen as fast...

they are sure smarter than the brown crix....they know how to hide

Thanks!!

Mine can't hide for poop. They also only climb on the screen or run around in the dirt of the plant pots. Though mine do like to randomly eat half of other crickets. They eat just enough to kill them and leave the rest. They don't smell quite as much, but mine do have a smell.

Thanks!!

Mine can't hide for poop. They also only climb on the screen or run around in the dirt of the plant pots. Though mine do like to randomly eat half of other crickets. They eat just enough to kill them and leave the rest. They don't smell quite as much, but mine do have a smell.

no, thank you:D

but i take that back about the black crix being smart hiders.....they seem smart but they cant hide for "s#$t"...

Last edited:
That any of you love your chameleons enough to deal with these things is wonderful and rather amazing to me.

With the one batch I had it seemed like they lived in a different realm from the chameleon...if you cup feed, that's probably okay, but if you free range the crickets they won't be hanging out where the chameleon is. If your chameleon visits the lower realm frequently that might be okay, but not all do.

I got bitten again today. It really hurt and I dropped the cricket on the floor. I wanted to kill it, but I didn't.
As far as breeding them goes the baby crickets are making tunnels in the ecoearth. I have them in an aquarium and I can see them like an ant culture. I wonder if that's normal for other crickets species??? Oh and I have a zero mortality rate, keeping pinheads is going to be easier than ever.

Does a single female produce as many eggs as Acheta domesticus, or are you able to tell at this point?

Does a single female produce as many eggs as Acheta domesticus, or are you able to tell at this point?

I've had them since last month and I haven't run out. They're just so big my chameleons can barely eat a few. They haven't died either. It's weird, but there are so many eggs in the substrate I can see them all along the side of the glass. It's like they're constantly laying eggs. They're a hybrid so I don't think anyone knows their limitations yet.

Who in SoCal is selling these guys?? I need some more i'm over the dumb dieing brown crickets. Someone help me out!!!

Rainbow has a website that they sell off of. I found out last week that they are actually not supposed to be breeding this type of cricket as they don’t have the proper USDA (?) permits. I personally don’t care, just find it amusing.

Rainbow has a website that they sell off of. I found out last week that they are actually not supposed to be breeding this type of cricket as they don’t have the proper USDA (?) permits. I personally don’t care, just find it amusing.

Holy! I didn't know that. I have two aquariums filled with them now from breeding. Oh well. Do you have a link to their site?

Well, last week I went to get crickets at a local pet store and guess what they had...............Right! Black crickets. I asked the guys what happened to the brown ones, but he did not know. And still incubating the eggs, so let's see how that goes...did I mention those things bite really hard?

Back
Top Bottom