Bioactive substrate mix

BenjiTheCham

Established Member
Hello,
I will be setting up a bioactive tank for my chameleon soon and I had some questions about the substrate.

I know about all the layers and stuff and have done a bit of research on the soil. I was wondering if the Zilla Jungle Mix is good. I Am trying to find good deals and not spend too much money and there is a good deal on josh’s frogs for 15 dollars for 24 quarts. This would be cheaper than mixing my own.

he reason why I am wondering about the Zilla mix is because it says that is a mixture of sphagnum moss and orchid bark, which based on what I have researched is not a good mixture. if I can not use just this soil mix, could I mix in some soil and sand, which would make the mixture complete(?)
Thanks, also if anyone has any other advice or links to cheap mixtures / ingredients, that would help a lot.

here is a link to the mix
https://www.joshsfrogs.com/zilla-jungle-mix-24-quart.html

I believe @frankpayne32 uses a mixture of one part peat moss to one part sand. Or maybe just a bit less sand. It makes a healthy substrate, and I am using that in a tank build right now.

I mix sphagnum moss, Ecoearth, play sand, orchid bark, and a layer of hardwood lump charcoal.
Which pack of the eco earth do you think would be good for a 36” x 18” x 24” exo terra terrarium? I am planning on making about 4” of substrate not including drainage layer.

Back
Top Bottom