Bioactive Mentor

I cant believe I've never attached the plans for my fully automated water management system in this thread...

Plans for fully automated misting/drainage system:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/decided-to-get-a-misting-system-which-is-best.165068/

All of these parts are readily available at Home Depot. I bought the reservoir from the pet section of Walmart, it was sold as a large dog food storage bin and was the most expensive part. I suggest getting a clear reservoir so you can keep an eye on the function of the valve and water level/clarity. My reservoir is about 12”Wx12”Dx18”T. Just make sure your reservoir is tall enough to house the toilet valve.

All your doing is splicing a T into your existing waterline and running a new one to where ever your reservoir will be. Install the toilet valve in your reservoir and connect it to the line you just ran. You will need to have the reservoir blocked up off the floor a few inches so you have clearance for your hose and fittings plus your reservoir has to be above your pump anyway.

From here follow the instructions from Mistking to install that. Once the pump is installed put the shower drain in the base of your enclosure and run the drainage line so it empties under your house or tie it straight into your home’s plumbing drains.

Your reservoir now works just like your toilet. As the MistKing pulls water from the reservoir the toilet valve will be triggered and automatically refill the reservoir. It takes a while for the MistKing to pull enough water to trigger the valve, I’d say that with my current misting schedule the valve is triggered once every few days max...

Where did you find that driftwood? Assuming by your location you sourced it from nature yourself?

I think I'm a tad too far from the beach here in Atlanta and can't find any nice big pieces like that.

Where did you find that driftwood? Assuming by your location you sourced it from nature yourself?

I think I'm a tad too far from the beach here in Atlanta and can't find any nice big pieces like that.
Yes, I’m down the bayou. I can send you some, how big of a piece do you want?
A6B48823-D18C-4739-9400-3FCCE6B85BDF.jpeg

I cant believe I've never attached the plans for my fully automated water management system in this thread...

Plans for fully automated misting/drainage system:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/decided-to-get-a-misting-system-which-is-best.165068/

All of these parts are readily available at Home Depot. I bought the reservoir from the pet section of Walmart, it was sold as a large dog food storage bin and was the most expensive part. I suggest getting a clear reservoir so you can keep an eye on the function of the valve and water level/clarity. My reservoir is about 12”Wx12”Dx18”T. Just make sure your reservoir is tall enough to house the toilet valve.

All your doing is splicing a T into your existing waterline and running a new one to where ever your reservoir will be. Install the toilet valve in your reservoir and connect it to the line you just ran. You will need to have the reservoir blocked up off the floor a few inches so you have clearance for your hose and fittings plus your reservoir has to be above your pump anyway.

From here follow the instructions from Mistking to install that. Once the pump is installed put the shower drain in the base of your enclosure and run the drainage line so it empties under your house or tie it straight into your home’s plumbing drains.

Your reservoir now works just like your toilet. As the MistKing pulls water from the reservoir the toilet valve will be triggered and automatically refill the reservoir. It takes a while for the MistKing to pull enough water to trigger the valve, I’d say that with my current misting schedule the valve is triggered once every few days max...

View attachment 248164

Why not just direct feed from an RO system?

Its been a year, how is your Viv doing now?

Looking back any changes you would have made?

Last edited:
Its been a year, how is your Viv doing now?

Still running like a clock, haven’t had to make any major modifications. But I did have a bit of an issue with tiny patches of mold growing at the base of the branches on the right side right at the leaf/dirt interchange. It sits right below a nozzle so it was thoroughly soaked daily. I adjusted the nozzle and removed some of the lower foliage in the area to increase air flow and it cleared right up.

Looking back any changes you would have made?
Yes, and it pisses me off daily even though it does not hurt the vivs ability to do its job.

The placement of my quad fixture. It makes getting a good shot of Roux damn near impossible. Because of how high in the room his viv is I can’t get a picture of him withought pointing the camera right into the damn quad. Blinds me every damn time. I built his viv pretty much on the ground so the lights were about eye level at the time, so the problem never presented itself until the final install.

The reason I put the light in the back was so I could install my nozzles on the top/front of the roof spraying towards the back of the viv to eliminate overspray. It’s actually a pretty easy fix, just haven’t had the time....

62FA3737-53AF-455E-880A-54EFF80FF8E6.jpeg
FE69AD73-8088-4050-9EFA-30793E893C93.jpeg
7E49D0F7-A12E-4600-A1FC-394163A9126F.jpeg

What did you use as the floor base I see its black and designed to flow the water towards the center into the sink drain. Trying to figure out how and what to use for that concept
I just waterproofed mine and put a shower drain in it without sloping it. I haven’t had a drop of water come out of the drain yet. Based on my experience so far, you’d have to be significantly over water to actually need the drain.

I just waterproofed mine and put a shower drain in it without sloping it. I haven’t had a drop of water come out of the drain yet. Based on my experience so far, you’d have to be significantly over water to actually need the drain.

Bioactive?

Yes I agree, if you have 5-6 inch soil you would have to seriously over water to need a drain.

What about for a regular screen cage. What can I use for the base that I can mold into a way it so all the water runs into the center for easier draining

Bioactive?

Yes I agree, if you have 5-6 inch soil you would have to seriously over water to need a drain.
You guys think I can use the great stuff pond foam across the whole base of my cage and mold it so the water drains towards the center and simply add a shower drain in the middle?

You guys think I can use the great stuff pond foam across the whole base of my cage and mold it so the water drains towards the center and simply add a shower drain in the middle?

Ya but its going to take alot of paint, or some such to seal the porous foam.

Back
Top Bottom