Bioactive Enclosure

Dannnie

Hello, I am new to this forum, and soon to be a new cham owner. Ive owned many reptiles successfully and currently don't have any. Ive been researching chameleons for over 2 years due to wanting to give my little guy the best life possible. Ive since decided on doing a bio active tank for the help in maintaining the cleanliness of the tank as well as providing live plants for my cham. I did not come on here to get people telling me to go the simple route. I plan on dedicating months to this set up before introducing it to a chameleon. Ive read a lot on the substrate and would like to get opinions from people who have had experience with bioactive enclosures. I plan on planting plants to help keep the humidity due to living in a very dry area. My main question is what substrate do you use? I plan on using hydro balls as well as sunshine #4 with possibly almond leafs on top or leafs that take awhile longer to decompose.

The actual substrate used depends on both your ambient average temp and humidity. Some substrates don’t do well when wet or too dry. I think the best way to start, is probably by looking into the biodude on YouTube. His how to videos are among the best and his product offered is staggering. This gives you a good start, look into books and podcasts on the subject also. Your plan to build and takes time to let plants settle in is great, I wish more people took this route.

The actual substrate used depends on both your ambient average temp and humidity. Some substrates don’t do well when wet or too dry. I think the best way to start, is probably by looking into the biodude on YouTube. His how to videos are among the best and his product offered is staggering. This gives you a good start, look into books and podcasts on the subject also. Your plan to build and takes time to let plants settle in is great, I wish more people took this route.
I can second that his bio active setups are amazing!!! Good Luck, and Happy Chameleon Keeping!!! Happy Holidays!!! :):p:D:):p:D

Back
Top Bottom