Bioactive Build - 3 Months in!

GoodKarma19

Chameleon Enthusiast
I made a few more changes to the terrarium, and figured I was due for an update!

The Meyers lemon has been struggling a little, but has been perking up after being fed so I think it was a deficiency of some variety. I may end up replacing it with a hibiscus at some point, depending on how well it recovers! I introduced "wingergreen" club moss and a purple wandering jew at the substrate level as well as some carpet moss, moved a couple airplants around/ separated two of my neoregalia brom pups, and added a trio of jewel orchids. So stoked to have found them locally!! :D

I've lost the battle with keeping the moss in the upper 1/4 of the terrarium alive, but I don't mind the yellowed look. It's kind of neat, even! Adds a little more color. Maybe one day I'll dig down to the substrate level and add a circulating pump so that I can get some drip lines going... for now, I'll live with it! It just dries out too quickly with quantum boards, and it's a losing battle.

Enclosure: 36x18x36 ExoTerra. Front glass doors have been replaced by a screen panel for better airflow (mostly because I dropped/shattered a door :oops:)

Lighting: x2 HLG 65 quantum boards, suspended 8" off the top, as well as a 36" 5.0 UVB.

Watering: MistKing, running at 7a, 2p, 7p, 10p (quick spritz to up humidity) for 12 minutes accumulated. I also handmist the moss ~once a day in any spots that the nozzles don't reach - I need another 1-2 nozzles for full coverage, I think!

Plant List
(in no particular order):

• Meyer's Lemon
  • polkadot plants
  • "wintergreen" club moss (Selaginella kraussiana)
  • varigated creeping fig
  • creeping fig
  • Various mosses (locally foraged)
  • various airplants (tillandsia sp.)
  • fluffy ruffles boston fern
  • macodes sanderiana (jewel orchid)
  • macodes petola (jewel orchid)
  • dossinia marmorata (jewel orchid)
  • varigated heart leaf philodendron
  • neon philodendron
  • lipstick vine (Aeschynanthus sp.)
  • flaming sword bromeliad
  • Neoregalia chiquita Linda
  • neoregalia Fireball
  • neoregalia gorion
Picture quality isn't great, sadly! This busted up old phone needs a replacement.

Front:

Left across:

Right across:

Close up of the right side, one of my favorite parts of the build:

And for the plant nerds that love jewel orchids as much as I do...

Macodes sanderiana

Macodes petola

Dossinia marmorata

Come to Cali and build my cages lol

Do you promise to feed me? I'm very food motivated! :ROFLMAO:

Ugh your making me want to build one already! Looking good!

All in good time! I was researching and planning for months before I started building, though I'm also prone to a tad bit of overkill. And thank you - I'm very proud of this little baby, and obsessively fuss with the plants at least once a day haha!

Wow wow! It looks amazing! It’s filled in so nicely :D

Thank you!! :D I'm eagerly waiting for the vines to really take off. They're settling in well, but are slow growers haha!

Do you promise to feed me? I'm very food motivated! :ROFLMAO:

All in good time! I was researching and planning for months before I started building, though I'm also prone to a tad bit of overkill. And thank you - I'm very proud of this little baby, and obsessively fuss with the plants at least once a day haha!

Thank you!! :D I'm eagerly waiting for the vines to really take off. They're settling in well, but are slow growers haha!
Yes I’ll feed you I hope you like Mexican food :hungry:

but Seriously Your cages look amazing your chams are lucky ladies

Yes I’ll feed you I hope you like Mexican food :hungry:

but Seriously Your cages look amazing your chams are lucky ladies

I do love me some Mexican!! :D

Thanks Jo!! :love: Next up is overhauling Lily's enclosure. I just haven't found plants that have spoken to me, yet!

Looks awesome. Can you post pics of your screen setup. I know you broke a door which forced you to do the screen doors. But I'm interested on how you have it. Did you frame the screen to make doors out of them? Or do you just have it hanging there? Is it just one big screen or two that you put together?

Looks awesome. Can you post pics of your screen setup. I know you broke a door which forced you to do the screen doors. But I'm interested on how you have it. Did you frame the screen to make doors out of them? Or do you just have it hanging there? Is it just one big screen or two that you put together?

Thanks Tony! :) I took some spare screen, cut it to size, and then glued velcro all the way around the "door" of the viv and the screen panel. The whole panel comes off, and it's working pretty well! Keeps the bugs and Kismet in. I need to reinforce the edges, though. All of the pulling is starting to beat it up a bit! Works fine as long as I don't like... tear it off in a hurry haha! :p I'll end up prettying it up eventually.

With the panel in place:

Closeup:

Back
Top Bottom